The Green Blue is for everyone who enjoys getting out on the water, or whose livelihood depends on boats and watersports. By working towards an environmentally self-regulating boating community, we can save money, avoid red tape and safeguard the waters and habitats we enjoy for the future.
Mike GOLDING (GBR), the first person ever to sail single-handed and non-stop around the world in both directions and who finished third in the Vendée Globe this year, has become a Project Ambassador for The Green Blue. Speaking at the launch at the Southampton Boat Show in September he said, 'It only takes small actions by each of us who love being out on the water to help safeguard our delicate marine environment. Green Blue's mission - to inform the wider boating community of what actions are the most effective - is an important one! This will be a huge step in the right direction as ultimately, those of us who enjoy being on the water will reap the benefits in the future.'
The programme consists of academic research, information provision and practical projects, focusing on six impact areas:
- Oil and Fuel
- Cleaning and Maintenance
- Anti-fouling and Marine Paints
- Waste Management
- Resource Efficiency
- Effects on Wildlife
The Green Blue objectives are:
- To provide more readily available information to industry and users about potential environmental impacts of recreational watersports and effective mitigation measures.
- To raise awareness of how users can purchase, maintain and use their craft and equipment in an environmentally responsible manner.
- To promote sustainable boating so that increases in participation figures and the size of the recreational marine industry are achievable while minimising environmental degradation
- To encourage the design and production of innovative environmentally friendly products, facilities and processes within the recreational marine industry
- To raise awareness of the interaction with the local environment amongst providers of marine services and amongst watersports participants
- To work with partners, authorities and managers to raise awareness and appreciation of coastal and inland water environments
The Green Blue has won funding from both The Crown Estate's Marine Stewardship Fund and the British Government's Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs's Environmental Action Fund, and enjoys sponsorship from Marina Developments Limited (MDL).