The 52 Series coastal race in Marseille is often a classic, and today's 35 miler east to a leeward turn at Cassis delivered adrenalin pumping action, excitement and intrigue right until the end.
Container, steered by Wieser with Hamish Pepper (NZL) calling tactics and Marc Lagesse (RSA) navigating, was quick downwind and up to overhaul long time leader Audi Azzurra Sailing Team (ITA) from the leeward turn, going on to win by one minute and 15 seconds as they surfed across the finish line at the entrance to Marseille's historic harbour. Container win their first race of the season, the 1.5 points bounty coastal race, ensuring that all eight TP52's have now won at least one race this season.
The recovery of the day, that of Audi Sailing Team powered by All4ONE(FRA/GER) was not only spectacular in its magnitude but proved to have a bearing on the standings between Quantum Racing and Container. The Franco-German team were lying third on the downwind long leg when they caught a large fish on their rudder blade. They had to drop their spinnaker and back up to remove it, dropping to eighth. But a long tack offshore on the final beat back allowed them to get back up to third place, finishing just behind blue sistership Audi Azzurra Sailing Team (ITA).
But with Audi Sailing Team powered by All4ONE crossing in front of Quantum Racing today the American team find themselves needing to have one boat between them and Container to win the Marseille Trophy.
Results after 8 races
1. Container (GER), 7+3+4+6+2+3+2+1,5= 28,5 points
2. Quantum Racing (USA), 4+1+1+8+3+4+3+6= 30
3. Audi Azzurra Sailing Team (ITA), 1+7+3+7+5+5+6+3= 37
4. Bribón (ESP), 3+2+6+5+8+1+4+9= 38
5. Synergy Russian Sailing Team (RUS), 2+4+7+2+6+6+5+7,5= 39,5
6. Ràn (SUE), 5+5+2+4+4+2+9 (DSQ)+10,5= 41,5 points
7. Audi Sailing Team Powered by All4One (EUR), 6+6+8+3+7+8+1+4,5= 43,5
8. Gladiator (GBR), 8+8+5+1+1+7+9 (DNF)+12=47