Although Quantum Racing had lead since the fifth day of this five month, five regattas 2011 Audi MedCup Circuit season, the 2008 title winners arrived for the showdown Conde de Godo-City of Barcelona Trophy with a Circuit shrunk to only 3.5 points.
After a thrilling final two days of an incredible season Quantum Racing won their second Audi MedCup title by an overall margin of 15 points, ahead of Jose Cusi's Bribon, Italy's Audi Azzurra Sailing team take third.
The dream finish for the Bribon campaigns which have spanned 38 years were ultimately denied by Quantum Racing and also by RAN. The Swedish flagged boat owned and steered by Niklas Zennstrom, won the Conde de Godo Barcelona Trophy, despatching Bribon to second step on the regatta podium.
But there was an emotional farewell from the Audi MedCup Circuit sailors for the Bribon team delivered only metres from Cusi's home club, the Real Club Nautico de Barcelona.
Owner Cusi said, "We've given Spain many wins during this 38 years, and that's a reason to be happy. The boat retires but I don't, I'll keep racing on more simple boats. As we crossed the finish line I got a phone call from the king to congratulate us for our second place in a Circuit of such high level and in Barcelona."
Quantum Racing started with victory in the opening regatta of the season in Cascais, finished second in Marseille, fifth in Cagliari and third in Cartagena. Quantum Racing's project manager Ed Reynolds, also co-architect of their 2008 title win, smiled on the dockside today:
"Of all the MedCups this is the one I am most thrilled about. When they had to step up, they did. We feel like we have been defending the whole season, like we had a target on our backs since we won in Cascais at the beginning of the season. We were defending before we were ready to. I just hate to lose, and so I have such a sense of relief but it is so great to be part of a team like this. In competitive sport when everything is on the line to be a part of something which stands up and takes control that was the best part of the whole year."
2011 Audi MedCup Circuit
Final standings after five regattas
1. Quantum Racing (USA), 19 + 30 + 42+38,5+33= 162,5 points
2. Bribón (ESP), 47,5 + 38+37+25+30= 177,5 points
3. Audi Azzurra Sailing Team (ITA), 32,5 + 37+35,5+28+47= 180 points
4. Container (GER), 31,5+28,5+38+43+44= 185 points
5. Ràn (SUE), 40,5+41,5+43,5+48,5+28= 202 points
6. Audi Sailing Team Powered by All4One (GER/FR) 58 + 43,5+26,5+39,5+37 =204,5 points
5. Synergy Russian Sailing Team (RUS), 37+39,5+44,5+43,5+44= 208,5 points
8. Gladiator (GBR), 85,5+47+85,5+85,5+61= 364,5 points
Owner Driver Trophy
Niklas Zennström (SWE), RÁN (SWE)
Conde de Godó City of Barcelona Trophy
Results after nine races
1. RAN (SWE), 2+1+1+2+5+8+1+4+4=28 points
2. Bribón (ESP), 1+3+3+1+2+4+6+3+7=30 points
3. Quantum Racing (USA), 3+2+2+7+7+1+2+1+8=33 points
4. Audi Sailing Team powered by All4One (GER/FR), 6+8+6+5+3+2+3+2+2=37 points
5. Container (GER), 4+7+5+4+1+6+7+5+5=44 points
6. Synergy Russian Sailing Team (RUS), 8+4+8+3+4+3+4+7+3=44 points
7. Audi Azzurra Sailing Team (ITA), 5+5+4+8+8+5+5+1+6=47 points
8. Gladiator (GBR), 7+6+7+6+6+7+8+8+6=61 points
Audi MedCup - www.medcup.org