The Official
Website of the
International
Sailing Federation

www.sailing.org
22 February 2003, 01:06 pm
Race Four Delayed Again
No ALT tag specified

America's Cup
Hauraki Gulf, Auckland

A strong high pressure system building over the north island of New Zealand brought light winds to the race area on the Hauraki Gulf delaying Race Four for a second time.
Principal Race Officer Harold Bennett of the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron issued a shore postponement holding the teams on the dock while they waited for the wind to build. In the event, neither Alinghi nor Team New Zealand left the Viaduct Basin as conditions didn't improve.

"The current weather conditions are unsuitable for racing and are not expected to improve in time for a race this afternoon," Bennett said. "After consulting with both weather teams the decision has been made to postpone today's scheduled race until tomorrow. There's two knots out here at the moment and the water is completely flat. We don't see anything building later either."

Racing was called for the day at 12:25. Team New Zealand crew members then toured the Viaduct Basin in a RIB to greet thousands of supporters who had been waiting patiently to see their heroes.

Racing will continue on Sunday with a scheduled start time of 13:15.

A large area of high-pressure is forecast to be positioned overhead the north island of New Zealand on Sunday, giving a slack pressure gradient and clear skies. The forecast is for a light north easterly sea breeze of seven to 10 knots developing in the afternoon in the northern Hauraki Gulf. There is a chance of a south west sea breeze developing later in the afternoon.
America's Cup Media/ISAF News Editor
Share this page
Isaf TV
Latest News
News Archive
© 2014 Copyright ISAF/ISAF UK Ltd. All Rights Reserved Privacy & Cookies delivered by Sotic powered by OpenText WSM