The Official
Website of the
International
Sailing Federation

www.sailing.org
27 February 2003, 09:29 am
Racing Scheduled For Friday
No ALT tag specified
Alinghi © Photo Wave/Louis Vuitton

America's Cup
Hauraki Gulf, Auckland

On Thursday, Principal Race Officer Harold Bennett cancelled racing in the face of a poor weather forecast. However, the forecast for the next few days is good, and the teams are chomping at the bit to race.
America's Cup

Impacting on the decision to cancel racing, was the request from the Auckland Harbourmaster who was concerned about the safety of the spectator fleet in the heavy seas that have built up following prolonged gales from the Northeast.

Race 4 of the the XXXIst America's Cup Match is now scheduled to continue on Friday, 28th February with both teams agreeing to try and race on the previously scheduled 'off' day.

The Defender, Team New Zealand, trails the Swiss Challenger Alinghi 3 - 0 in the best of nine series.

Fortunately, after nine days of unsuitable weather for racing, the forecast is much better for Friday with moderate conditions due on the Hauraki Gulf. Northeast winds of 13 to 18 knots are expected under overcast skies.

Bennett has said Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are now scheduled as 'race' days. A decision will be made as to whether to race on Monday, if needed, over the weekend.
America's Cup Media/ISAF Secretariat
Share this page
Isaf TV
Latest News
News Archive
© 2014 Copyright ISAF/ISAF UK Ltd. All Rights Reserved Privacy & Cookies delivered by Sotic powered by OpenText WSM