The Canadian Yachting Association is keen to actively promote the opportunities available to women and girls in sailing through its "Women in Wind" Awareness Campaign.
During the past year, members of the CYA Women's Committee -chaired by Christine SEARLE - have put together a presentation template for this campaign to be used at clubs, community centres and provincial sailing centres.
The goal of this presentation is to:
· Heighten people's awareness of the opportunities available for women in sailing
· Discuss success stories/best practices from clubs, and programs such as the CYA "women in wind" and/or provincial sailing association initiatives
· Promote the regattas, events and other avenues which currently exist for women striving to become involved in the sport of sailing
· Explain the CYA Women's Committee mandate
· Increase the database of women in sailing
· Ultimately this campaign is in place to increase the participation of women in all aspects of sailing, to increase the success level of female athletes, and to ensure there is an organization in place to ensure "women in wind" type programs run from one year to the next!
In March of 2003, the first presentation was completed by Christine SEARLE at the Ontario Sailing Association Training Symposium. Since this time, there has been no turning back! Throughout the summer, numerous presentations and forums were completed at regattas and clinics including the CYA Women's Keelboat Nationals, and in Gimli, MB at the Western Canada Summer Games.
Currently, the presentation can be found online: CLICK HERE (It will be available in French in the New Year).
CYA would like to bring onboard clubs and provinces to host a Women in Wind Seminar during the winter of 2004. The Women in Wind seminars supported by CYA this winter should include the CYA presentation. In addition, seminars may involve bringing in a guest speaker, a camp (for all those places without frozen water) or forum…the sky is the limit!
For more details please visit the Canadian Yachting Association website at the address below.