Winds shifted to the south for day three of the Orange Bowl Regatta where 620 youth sailors, age 8-18, are competing in eight classes on four courses on Biscayne Bay in Miami, USA.
Four more races were completed. Some titles have been determined before the final race(s) today, others are still in contention.
Miami sailor Julian ROOTS lengthened his lead to ten points over Eric LAWRENCE of Palm City, sewing up the gold medal in the Optimist Green Fleet. In the Opti Red fleet, Stephanie ROBLE increased her lead over Bermudian Sean BOUCHARD.
In the closest series of the regatta, Robert NOONAN and Thomas BARROWS remain tied in points after four more races, with Noonan winning the tie-breaker. This Laser class title will be determined in the final race tomorrow. Cy THOMPSON took over the lead from Canadian Ethan HOLTZER in the Radial class but with just four points separating them, the top slot is still up for grabs.
In the 102-boat Club 420 class, Parker DWYER and crew Cody JONES took over the lead by 16 points from Jackson BENVENUTTI/Ryan HAMILTON who dropped to second.
Two more races for the Optimist fleet and one more race for all other fleets are planned tomorrow. Olympic gold medalist Magnus LILJEDAHL will present the awards at Coral Reef Yacht Club starting at 1pm.
Complete results can be found on the web at: www.coralreefyachtclub.org/youth_ob_2003.htm.
Day 3 Preliminary Results
Laser 33 boats, 11 races:
1. Robert Noonan (Los Angeles, CA) 29 points
2. Thomas Barrows (St. Thomas, VI) 29 Points
3. Chris Wenner (Los Angeles, CA) 50 points
Radial 80 boats, 11 races:
1. Cy Thompson (St. Thomas, VI) 29 points
2. Ethan Holtzer (Toronto, Ontario) 33 points
3. Chris Alexander (Fort Myers, FL) 36 points
Club 420 102 boats, 11 races:
1. Parker Dwyer/Cody Jones (Stuart, FL) 61 points
2. Jackson Benvenuti/Ryan Hamilton (Mandeville, LA) 77 points
3. Becca Dellenbaugh/Keisha Pearson (Easton, CT) 106 points
29er 7 boats, 11 races:
1. James Doughty/Gareth Williams (Bermuda) 20 points
2. Brooks Reed/Matt Noble (Santa Cruz, CA) 21 points
3. Simon Karstoft/Charles Wright (Milwaukee, WI) 37 points
Optimist Green Fleet (novice age 15 & under) 87 boats, 12 races:
1. Julian Roots (Miami, FL) 24 points
2. Eric Lawrence (Palm City, FL) 34 points
3. Will Howard (Lake Forrest, IL) 40 points
Optimist White Fleet (age 10 and under) 37 boats, 10 races:
1. Ivan Aponte (Puerto Rico) 127 points
2. Jack Swikart (Rumson, NJ) 250 points
3. Luke Adams (Newport, RI) 318 points
Optimist Blue Fleet (age 11-12) 91 boats, 10 races:
1. Taylor Lutz (Houston, TX) 87 points
2. Cameron Pimental (Bermuda) 113 points
3. Adriana Villena (Ecuador) 144 points
Optimist Red Fleet (age 13-15) 74 boats, 10 races:
1. Stephanie Roble (East Troy, WI) 18 points
2. Sean Moynahan (Miami, FL) 38 points
3. Adrian Hernandez (Puerto Rico) 41 points