The Cruising Yacht Club of Australia and host Club Royal Prince Alfred have emerged from the round robin phase with 9 wins and 2 losses each, ahead of the Royal Yachting Association with 7 wins.
The CYCA's Seve JARVIN, Robert BELL and Sam NEWTON come to the Harken fresh from a victory in their home club's Accord Logistics Youth International just last week, not to mention a win in the USA's Governor's Cup a couple of months back. He will face the Alfred's Nicky SOUTER, Nina CURTIS and John DAHLENBERG tomorrow morning in what could turn out to be the first of a number of encounters between these teams in the repechage/knockout round which will see the top eight teams reduced to two for the best of 5 match final on Sunday.
Southerly winds built from 12 to 25kts causing a number of minor breakages and prompting race officials to signal "no spinnakers" for the last two of the five flights able to be completed before conditions became unsuitable. "We really liked the stronger winds"
said Fremantle Sailing Club's Tessa PARKINSON, "except when we got a tangle in our mainsheet which caused us to broach when leading Royal Perth".
Race Officer Dennis THOMPSON is hopeful that the program can be completed without any reduction in the two days remaining as SE winds are forecast which could produce the best sailing conditions of the series.
Chief Umpire Shane BORRELL and his team were kept busy for over an hour at the post race debrief as the eager young minds took advantage of the opportunity to quiz the umpires regarding their decisions and interpretations.
Placings after the completed round robin stage
1. Cruising Yacht Club Australia AUS 9/2 (win/loss)
2. Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club AUS 9/2
3. Royal Yachting Association GBR 7/4
4. South of Perth Yacht Club AUS 7/4
5. Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron AUS 7/4
6. Fremantle Sailing Club AUS 6/5
7. Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron AUS 5/6
8. Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron NZL 5/6
9. Royal Perth Yacht Club AUS 4/7
10. Hamburger Segel Club Women GER 3/8
11. Hamburger Segel Club Open GER 3/8
12. Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club NZL 1/10