Runner up Jean-Pierre DICK (FRA) also receives a trophy and a cash prize in addition to the consolation of helping Virbac-Paprec lead the sponsorship rankings. This is the first time the winner has not been associated with the winning sponsor who plays such an important part in promoting Oceanic racing.
Meanwhile breakages in the South Atlantic are certain to prevent Alex THOMSON (GBR) from collecting FICO World Championship points for the VELUX 5 OCEANS race. Bernard STAMM (SUI) however could establish a dominant position for a return to the podium in 2007.
Fellow VELUX 5 OCEANS competitor, Mike GOLDING (GBR), when he handed the FICO trophy back before setting off from Bilbao commented 'I'd like to see it back on the mantelpiece'.
Skipper Ranking List 2006
1. Jean LE CAM (FRA), VM Materiaux, 289 points
2. Jean-Pierre DICK ( FRA), Virbac-Paprec, 220 points
3. Vincent RIOU (FRA), PRB, 200 points
4. Dominique WAVRE (SUI), Temenos, 191 points
5. Mike GOLDING (GBR), Ecover, 182 points
Sponsor Ranking List 2006
1. Virbac-Paprec, 220 points
2. Bonduelle, 209 points
3. PRB, 200 points
4. Temenos, 191 points
5. Ecover, 182 points