The Athletes Commission composed of athletes representing each Olympic event, elected by the athletes themselves. The Athletes Commission holds at least one meeting each year and meets with the ISAF Executive Committee, to which the Athletes Commission makes recommendations.
The Athletes Commission has the following objectives:
- Be a non-political consultative body which can offer advice and assistance to ISAF on matters and issues of relevance to athletes and act as a link between the Olympic sailors and ISAF
- Ensure that the Athletes points of view are presented to ISAF
- Ensure respect of the rights of the athletes within the sport and draw up recommendations to that effect
- Promote high standards of sportsmanship and ethical performance when competing/participating
- Relate immediately to athletes competing/participating at the highest level and establish relationships to promote feedback to ISAF on matters concerning elite athletes
- Establish a working group responsible for liaison with ISAF for ISAF Events to help ISAF respond to the needs of the athletes;
- May put forward its recommendations/proposals to the ISAF Executive Committee for consideration
The current representatives are:
- Women's 470- Marcelien DE KONING (NED) - Chair
- Men's 470- Gildas PHILIPPE (FRA)
- Laser Radial - Ciara PEELO (IRL)
- Laser - Roope SUOMALAINEN (FIN)
- Women's RS:X- Alessandra SENSINI (ITA)
- Men's RS:X- Nick DEMPSEY (GBR)
- 49er - Chris DRAPER (GBR)
- Finn - Ed WRIGHT (GBR)
- Star - Mark REYNOLDS (USA)
- Tornado - Roman HAGARA (AUT)
- Yngling - Marion DEPLANQUE (FRA)
ISAF organizes one meeting each year, which is held at the ISAF Secretariat, usually in late September or early October. ISAF covers travel, accommodation and sustenance for this meeting, which is usually held over two days during a weekend. Other meetings are co-ordinated by the Athletes Commission at ISAF Graded events.
The members of the Athletes Commission are expected to represent the interests of Olympic sailors to ISAF, and to encourage open communication and feedback from the sailors.
ISAF is now inviting athletes to nominate candidates to represent their Olympic event on the Athletes Commission.
To be eligible to serve on the ISAF Athletes Commission, athletes must have participated in the Olympic Games or be 'actively campaigning for the Olympics'. Athletes must also be classified as an ISAF Sailor, be a member in good standing of the class association of their event and of their Member National Authority (MNA) and hold an ISAF World Sailing Ranking.
In the future the athletes elected will serve a four-year term, although for this election the term will be two years, 2007-2009, to align with the Olympic quadrennial. An athlete may serve as the ISAF Athlete Commission representative for a maximum of two terms. Athletes nominated cannot be an officer or paid employee of their MNA and/or Class Association and simultaneously serve on the ISAF Athletes Commission.
Any ISAF Sailor may propose a candidate from their Olympic event. Athletes may also nominate themselves. Only athletes ranked on the ISAF World Sailing Rankings may nominate an athlete for their event or nominate themselves. All nominations must be accepted by the nominee and seconded prior to the actual voting. Nominees who do not accept their nomination or fail to gain a seconder shall not be included on the final ballot for voting.
All nominations must be completed on the Athlete Commission Nomination Form which will be published by ISAF on 11 June 2007. All nominations must be received at the ISAF Secretariat by Monday 25 June 2007.
Voting will take place online via the ISAF website during the 2007 ISAF Sailing World Championship, 28 June-13 July 2007. Only athletes entered at the 2007 ISAF Sailing World Championships will be entitled to vote. The voting methods and exact voting timeframes will be clearly published by ISAF.
ISAF encourages all athletes to consider putting themselves or others forwards for this important role.
The ISAF Athletes Commission is there to support the interests of Olympic Sailors.
More information is at: www.sailing.org/athletes.
For a complete list of all the news about the ISAF Athletes' Commission and news related to the Athletes' Commission CLICK HERE.