The Official
Website of the
Sailing Federation
17 April 2002, 10:02 am
Day Five Navigation Report
No ALT tag specified
Maiden II

Maiden II

Maiden II were approximately 240nm behind Club Med for the Route of Discovery Record from Cadiz to the Bahamiam Island of San Salvador.
Excerpt of the day five navigation report from Adrienne Cahalan:

Miles behind Club Med approx: 240nm (caught up about 90nm on day 5)

Forecast: The wind situation has improved for us overnight as we have kept 15-20kt NE tradewinds slightly headed to enble us to sail a straight course toward the mark at 20kts keeping slightly south of the rhumbline. Due to a storm in the north Atlantic which is forcing the centre of the Azores High further south to 30N or below we have to make sure that we are not sucked up above 26N into an area of significantly decreased wind speed. If we can maintain 15-20TWS then the conditions are favourable enough to beat the record time. We have 5.5 days left which will be tight. We have a better sail wardrobe than Club Med, one sail of which we are a flying right now- a big gennaker and this allows up to sail deeper true wind angles of about 140 degrees without sacrificing boat speed. This will also be critical when the wind moves further east/aft and we have start gybing down the course toward an Salvador Bahamas. The forecasts over the next few das if we can stay around 24-25N is for 15-20kt NE.

The yacht is going well, we have had no major breakages, sail maneouvers are going smoothly. The crew are all healthy and in good spirits. We have the benefit of a better sail wardrode developed by the Club Med team after they broke this record. The formula is there. We left on a forecast that was not exceptional but a 'possibility' to break the record. We decided to give it a go. Yesterday we finally got a bit of a break to allow us to get closer to Club Med's daily position. We always knew that Club Med had a fast first 4-5 days having set the 24hr record of 620nm on day 3-4. So we are fighting hard and over the next few days if the weather holds for us we hope to be level with their position end Day 7 and the race begins from there.

Adrienne Cahalan/News Editor
Share this page
World Sailing TV
Latest News
News Archive
© 2015 Copyright ISAF/ISAF UK Ltd. All Rights Reserved Privacy & Cookies delivered by Sotic powered by OpenText WSM