The fifth race gave way for lots of competitive sailing. With changes in the top five positions throughout the race, the action was intense. Jamie Lea (GBR 437 - Black Seal) got off to a great start on the right.
Coming up to the first mark, Lea lead the pack with Edigio Babbi (ITA- 421 - Citta'di Cesenatico) following in second and Harry Melges helming for Jeff Ecklund (USA 409 - Star) in third. Lea maintained his lead to just before rounding the third mark when Melges tacked right in front to round the mark first. Kristopher Spone (NOR-249 Freun Maren) capturing the third position. Melges had to sail hard and quick only in an attempt to try and hold off Babbi and Spone, but it was not meant to be. Kristopher Spone captured the top spot with Edigio hot on his heals in second and Harry following third.
More great starts from Jamie Lea and Harry Melges, a little bit more wind and a definite chop set the stage for race six. They continued their battle through the first leg of the race only to find, currently ranked seventh overall in the standings - Cedric Pouligny helming for Bruno Jourdren (FRA 472 - Pokemon) taking a definite lead at the second mark that would last the remainder of the race. Pouligny commented that they had very good speed from the beginning and that it was a matter of keeping the pressure on Harry and Jamie because they are both such good strong and fast sailors. When asked about being ranked seventh overall and how he felt about the rest of the championship he mentioned, "with two days to go anything can happen. We have been getting better and better and we can only hope for more wind. We sail much better with more wind". Melges finished in second and Lea was third.
Back at the docks, the sailors and owners are enjoying drinks and food in celebration of a great day of world championship racing only to set-up and go again tomorrow.
At the end of the day Harry Melges is still in first place overall, followed by Jamie Lea, then Kristopher Spone and Rob Smith (GBR 484 - The New Barbarians) in fourth.
1. USA 409 - Harry Melges / Jeff Ecklund - 11, 1, 1, BFD/RDG, 3, 2 = 10,6 points
2. GBR 437 - Jamie Lea / Richard Thompson - 18, 7, 14,1,4,3 = 29.0 points
3. NOR 249 - Kristopher Spone / Neils Hauff - 9, 15, 3, 2, 1, 20 = 30 points
4. GBR 484 - Rob Smith / Stuart Simpson - 10, 5, 4, 14, BFD, 8 = 41 points
5. FRA 173 - Oliver Ponthieu - 7, 30, 5, 4, 5, 25 = 46 points
6. FIN 236 - Kenneth Thelen - 4, 31, 17, 8, 11, 9 = 49 points
7. FRA 472 - Cedric Pouligny/Bruno Jourdren - 33, 23, 11, BFD/RDG, 7, 1= 57 points
8. FRA 475 - Sebastien Col / Philippe Ligot - 22, 9, 13, BFD, 6,7 = 57 points
9. NOR 341 - Erik Arthur - 36, 3, 18, 6, 28, 11 = 66 points
10. FRA 193 - Philippe Legros / C.D.V.H. -13, 19,9,17,15,12 = 66 points