The penultimate day of the pre-Olympic test event, hosted by the Agios Kosmas Olympic Sailing Centre, took a little while getting underway as competitors waited ashore for the sea breeze to kick in.
Once it did fill in it provided a perfect sailing day for the competitors racing in ten of the eleven Olympic classes.
It was another good day in the Finn Class for Ben Ainslie (GBR) out on the water, although the first race did not quite go all his way. He picked up his second yellow flag of the regatta when he had established at least a two-minute lead over the fleet and was forced to retire.
In the second and third races of the day, he came back with a vengeance scoring consecutive first places to help extend his lead on the fleet. Andrew Simpson maintains his second place overall after scoring a 4,24,4 score line and has a three-point lead over Guillaume Florent of France.
In the Laser Class Daniel Birgmark (SWE) is currently leading the fleet and has a 29-point lead over Gareth Blanckenberg (RSA). Rasmas Myrgren (SWE).
The Yngling class were postponed until 3 pm, with the hope that by then the sea breeze would have picked up and they could get in two good races, fortunately this is what happened and two races were sailed in good pressure. Shirley Robertson/Sarah Ayton/Inga Leask (GBR) moved up into second place overall, four points behind Melanie Dennison/Caroline Aders/Fiona Herbert (AUS).
In an attempt to get the 49ers back on schedule four races were sailed in near perfect conditions, but there was still no change at the top. Christoffer Sundby/Frode Bovim of Norway racked up a good enough score line including their third first place finish of the regatta to extend their lead to seventeen points over Peter and Soren Hansen of Denmark.
Two races were sailed in the mens 470 fleet and three in the womens. The classes are now back on schedule and with one race left to sail today. Johan Molund/Martin Andersson of Sweden currently lead the 470 Men fleet, with one race to go, from Alvaro Marinho/Miguel Nunes of Portugal, by fifteen points.
Sofia Bekatorou/Emilia Tsoulfa (GRE) in their home waters are leading the 470 Women fleet by a good margin, from Anne-Claire Le Berre/Marie Riou (FRA).
It was a late finish for the Mistrals who also completed two races. Alessandra Sensini (ITA) continues to lead the Mistral Women, although Lee Lai Shan (HKG) who is in second has a high second discard, and could potentially close the gap with the two races left. Nikos Kaklamanakis (GRE) is leading the Mistral Men from young New Zealander James Wells in second, with fellow New Zealander Jon Paul Tobin just one point off second in third position.
The pre-Olympic test event concludes today with the prize giving and closing ceremony taking place this evening.
Top 3 Results by Event
Double-handed Dinghy Women - 470
1. Sofia Bekatorou/Emilia Tsoulfa (GRE) - 3,15,1,5,1,1,1,11,8,4,(DNC) - 50
2. Maria Fernanda Sesto/Paula Reinoso (ARG) - 7,2,7,(19),19,8,15,2,4,8,3 - 75
3. Ingrid Petitjean/Nadege Dourouz (FRA) - 11,3,5,9,(OCS),10,17,5,10,3,9) - 82
Double-handed Dinghy Men - 470
1. Johan Molund/Martin Andersson (SWE) - 5,5,12,7,4,2,2,8,6,15,(DNC)) 66
2. Alvaro Marinho/Miguel Nunes (POR) - 6,12,3,2,14,4,14,7,(28),4,20 - 86
3. Yevgen Braslavets/Igor Matvienko (UKR) - 4,10,5,8,(OCS),7,8,24,7,6,11 - 90
High Performance Dinghy - 49er
1. Christoffer Sundby/Adam Lowry (NOR) - 8,3,(10),9,1,1,2,6,13,10,1,2,5,1,(DNC),(DNC) - 72
2. Iker Martinez/Xabier Fernandez (ESP) - 2,(19),4,5,11,16,4,1,9,15,19,12,3,10,4,7 - 103
3. Chris Draper/Simon Hiscocks (GBR) - 4,(OCS),6,2,(15),13,9,5,8,13,11,9,9,2,(16),12 - 118
Single-handed Dinghy Women - Europe
1. Solenne Brain (FRA) - 2,3,2,1,1,2,3,1,3,(DNF),1 - 19
2. Virginia Kravarioti (GRE) - 3,2,1,2,(5),3,2,3,2,1,2 - 21
3. Ermio Oikonomopoulou (GRE) - 4,1,(5),4,4,1,1,2,1,3,3 - 29
Single-handed Dinghy Men - Finn
1. Ben Ainslie (GBR) - 2,1,2,5,1,2,(DNF),1,1,9,13) - 37
2. Andrew Simpson (GBR) - 3,15,1,3,7,11,4,(24),4,3,3 - 52
3. Joao Signorini (BRA) - 5,17,9,10,4,1,(OCS),7,2,6,2 - 63
Dinghy Open - Laser
1. Daniel Birgmark (SWE) - 4,5,2,(17),11,13,4,2,3,13,(DNC) - 74
2. Paul Goodison (GBR) - 1,2,11,2,17,1,38,(OCS),24,1,1 - 98
3. Rasmus Myrgren (SWE) - 6,12,10,9,1,12,12,16,(32),17,17 - 112
Boards Women - Mistral
1. Alessandra Sensini (ITA) - 6,1,2,5,1,1,5,(7),2,1 - 24
2. Lai Shan Lee (HKG) - 1,9,1,1,16,(OCS),4,1,1,8 - 42
3. Yin Jian (CHN) - 2,2,4,(DSQ),14,2,14,12,3,4 - 57
Boards Men - Mistral
1. Nikolaos Kaklamanakis (GRE) - 3,5,1,1,2,2,(9),8,5,5 - 32
2. James Wells (NZL) - 13,1,2,3,(17),1,6,10,6,8 - 49
3. Jon-Paul Tobin (NZL) - 1,7,(19),2,4,13,5,1,10,7 - 50
Multihull Open - Tornado
1. Roman Hagara/Hans-Peter Steinacher (AUT) - 3,6,6,1,2,1,12,2,2,6,(16) - 41
2. Darren Bundock/John Forbes (AUS) - 2,(16),5,4,1,9,5,3,6,3,3 - 41
3. Olivier Backes/Laurent Voiron (FRA) - 1,5,2,(21),4,2,4,8,5,7,11 - 49
Keelboat Women - Yngling
1. Melanie Dennison/Caroline Aders/Fiona Herbert (AUS) - 8,1,5,3,12,(18),3,1,8,11,4 - 56
2. Hannah Swett/Joan Touchette/Melissa Purdy (USA) - 1,9,3,7,2,21,5,11,(23),2,1 - 62
3. Shirley Robertson/Sarah Ayton/Inga Leask (GBR) - 6,21,9,9,3,5,6,8,2,8,17 -