Iker Martinez/Xabi Fernandez (ESP) won the MasterCard 49er European Championship yesterday in Grimstad, fighting off a strong challenge from Chris Draper/Simon Hiscocks (GBR), to repeat their championship winning form from the Worlds.
Chris Draper/Simon Hiscocks (GBR) won both of yesterday's races in a strong NE wind, of more than 25 knots in the gusts. In the end Iker Martinez/Xabi Fernandez (ESP) clinched the title by just two points. So that the top two finishing teams replicated the results at the recent World Championship.
The overnight leaders, Christoffer Sundby/Frode Bovim (NOR), had big problems in difficult conditions, but with a 24 and 8 position still managed to cling on to their first podium position in a major championhip to take the bronze medal. With seven countries taking the first ten spots in the championship, one cannot say that any country is dominating this highly competitive class.
Provisional Top Ten Results
1 Iker Maritinez/Xabi Fernandez ESP 27 points
2 Chris Draper/Simon Hiscocks GBR 29 points
3 Christoffer Sundby/Frode Bovim NOR 36 points
4. Jonathan Age Persson/Thomas Iversen DEN 38 points
5. Pietr Sibello/Gianfranco Sibello ITA 39 points
6. Thomas Johanson/Jukka Piirainen FIN 57 points
7. Santiago Lopez-Vazquez/Javier de La Plaza ESP 58 points
8. Alistair Richardson/PeterGreenhalgh GBR 59 points
9. Luka Rodion/George Leonchik UKR 64 points
10. Tom Fitzpatrick/Frazer Brown IRL 65.5 points