Seventy-six young sailors from all over the Caribbean and beyond participated in the Scotiabank Regatta held at the St. Thomas Yacht Club in the US Virgin Islands. Eleven islands were represented together with sailors from Spain, Bermuda and the USA.
Blustery winds blowing 12 to 18 knots, dipping to 10 knots the second race day, blew during the three-day 10-race series, provoking the comment from one New York skipper: "I like it here because it's windy all the time. In Long Island Sound where I usually race, sometimes its 3 p.m. before we can go out".
To encourage younger and less-experienced sailors scoring is by age group with a separate novice fleet.
13-15 Year Olds:
1. Pedro Mari, Spain
2. Cy Thompson, St. Thomas, USVI
3. Xavier Torrem, Spain
4. Marco Teixidor, Puerto Rico
5. Jorge Hernandez, Puerto Rico
11-12 Year Olds:
1. Cameron Cullman, Long Island, New York
2. David Alfonso, Puerto Rico
3. Stefan Hebert, St. Thomas, USVI
4. Andrew Lewis, Trinidad
5. Sam William, Bay Head Yacht Club, NJ
1. Ivan Aponte, Puerto Rico
2. Philipine Van Aanholt, Curacao
3. Olin Davis, St. Thomas, USVI
4. Tyler Rice, St. Thomas, USVI
5. Haley Powell, Bermuda
1. Javier Ramos, Puerto Rico
2. Ard Van Aanholt, Curacao
3. Jae Tonachel, St. Croix, USVI
4. Johnathan Thomas, Curacao
5. Johnny Lenahan, St. Thomas, USVI
The Scotiabank International Optimist Regatta is credited with helping to start Optimist sailing programs in many islands throughout the Caribbean.