To date, the Virtual Olympic Congress has received 4,500 registrations and 700 contributions. "We are pleased with the number of high-calibre contributions," said President ROGGE, "and we look forward to an interesting debate in Copenhagen."
The Virtual Olympic Congress is an inclusive process. It provides the Olympic Family with a platform to voice their views on issues of importance to the future of the Olympic Movement.
The public consultation component is unique in the history of Olympic Congresses. The promotion of the Virtual Olympic Congress through social networking sites has given the IOC an opportunity to reach a cross-section of people, from different age groups, in many countries around the world.
The information gathered through the Virtual Olympic Congress will form the basis of discussions at the 13th Olympic Congress held in Copenhagen, Denmark, from 3-5 October 2009.
Make Your Contribution?
Making a contribution to the Virtual Olympic Congress is easy! Simply click on the banner below will give you access to the virtual Olympic Congress site. Click on the banner, register and contribute online to two of the five Congress themes.
The themes are as follows:
Theme 1: The athletes
- Relationship between the athletes, the clubs, federations and the NOCs
- Health protection in training and competition
- The social and professional life of athletes during and after elite competition
Theme 2: The Olympic Games
- How to keep the Games as a premier event
- The Olympic values
- Universality and developing countries
Theme 3: The structure of the Olympic Movement
- The autonomy of the Olympic Movement
- Good governance and ethics
- The relationships between the Olympic Movement and its stakeholders
Theme 4: Olympism and Youth
- Moving towards an active society
- Is competitive sport still appealing?
- Youth sports events
Theme 5: The digital revolution
- A new management of sports rights
- How to increase the size of the sports audience
- Communication with stakeholders in the digital age
Basis of discussion
The Virtual Olympic Congress is an important component of the preparatory process leading up to the 13th Olympic Congress in Copenhagen. The information gathered through the virtual Congress will form the basis of discussions at the 13th Olympic Congress held in Copenhagen, Denmark, in October 2009.
More information on the Congress Regulations, the Call for Contributions and the competition rules can be found at www.2009congress.olympic.org.