The last day of the 16th ACI HT Cronet Cup was splendid in every possible way. Superb weather and wind, great atmosphere, marvellous duals between the finalists Bertrand Pace and Philippe Presti.
There was a lot of thrill on the race course with fierce sea knights fighting their last duels. In the second flight of the finals, Presti's boat was damaged by Pace's but the French crew managed to win.
The champion won 12 000 $ and increased his chance to take over the helm in the French team Le Defi Areva during the America's Cup.
Peter Holmberg won the third place and Magnus Holmberg is the fourth here in Split. Peter Holmberg's American team of the Oracle Racing is safe in the leading position on the Swedish Match Tour Ranking list. With the fourth place in Split, Swedish skipper Magnus Holmberg secured his second position in the overall SMT Ranking.
After the bottle of champagne was open for the victorious French crew, everyone went to the Hotel Park, where the Awards Giving Ceremony will take place tonight with greetings from the Mayor of Split, sponsors and Swedish Match Tour representatives. The celebration of sailing will end with a great festivity including the fireworks.
1. Philippe Presti, Le Defi Areva ;
2. Bertrand Pace, Team New Zealand ;
3. Peter Holmberg, Oracle Racing ;
4. Magnus Holmberg, SWE/Team SeaLife ;
5. Jes Gram-Hansen, DEN/Team Marienlyst ;
6. Andy Beadsworth, GBR Challenge ;
7. Tomislav Basic, Croatia ;
8. Chris Law, Great Britain ;
9. Bjorn Hansen, SWE/GOL Sailing Team ;
10. Paolo Cian, Masclazone Latino.