GILMOUR added that with the current points standing very close between the skippers, it will be an extremely tightly fought contest at the Monsoon Cup in Malaysia.
The 2007 World Tour and ISAF Match Racing World Champion Ian WILLIAMS (GBR) of Team Pindar and 2007 Monsoon Cup winner is currently leading the pack after eight events on the tour. With a mere four points difference, he will definitely be facing stiff competition from close competitors Sébastien COL (FRA) and Mathieu RICHARD (FRA) to lift the Monsoon Cup and retain the World Championship title.
With the excitement of being the venue to crown the 2008 ISAF Match Racing World Champion, Tourism Malaysia has invited many international visitors and all Malaysians to Pulau Duyong, Kuala Terengganu to witness for themselves this sporting spectacle.
The top eight winners of the Monsoon Cup will get 1.5 times the points awarded to winners of other events in the Tour, motivating the teams to go all out to win the race.
The World Match Racing Tour is a season-long points championship for the ISAF Match Racing World Championship. The structure of the World Championship is that skippers earn points towards the title at each stage of the Tour. A total of 100 points are awarded to the top eight finishers: 25 points for first, 20 for second, 15 for third, 12 for fourth, 10 for fifth, 8 for sixth, 6 for seventh and 4 for eighth. Skippers will be allowed to count a maximum of five finishes plus those points earned at the final stage at the Monsoon Cup regardless of the number of stages they've raced. This finale, held over 3-7 December, will award 1.5 times the points to the top eight and it is a non-discard event.
World Match Racing Tour Leaderboard
(Top ten teams after Stage 8 of 9)
1. Ian WILLIAMS (GBR), Team Pindar, 92 points
2. Sébastien COL (FRA), French Match Racing Team/K-Challenge, 88
3. Mathieu RICHARD (FRA), French Match Racing Team/ French Team Spirit, 77
4. Adam MINOPRIO (NZL), ETNZ/BlackMatch Racing Team, 53
4. Torvar MIRSKY (AUS), Mirsky Racing Team, 53
6. Magnus HOLMBERG (SWE), Victory Challenge, 51
7. Mattias RAHM (SWE), Stena Bulk Sailing Team, 46
8. Paolo CIAN (ITA), Team Shosholoza, 43
9. Bjorn HANSEN (SWE), Alandia Sailing Team, 40
9. Johnie BERNTSSON (SWE), Berntsson Sailing Team, 40
ISAF Match Racing World Championship - www.sailing.org/matchworlds