Yesterday, after nine races, Arne Sjöberg (SWE) and his crew opened the Champagne bottle in the harbor of the Royal Norwegian Yacht Club, Oslo as they claimed overall victory at the 11 Metre Worlds.
Whilst Stefan Winberg (NOR) dominated the first day of the 2002 Worlds, Arne Sjöberg came back into the game on the second day and dominated the fleet on the second and third day. On the last day, the three leading boats Arne Sjöberg (SWE 320), Terie Wang (NOR 9111) and Torgeir Pedersen (NOR 8212) sailed virtually a match race from start to finish.
But it was Arne Sjöberg who controlled the competitors and was able to extend his lead to take the podium.
The sailors experienced difficult conditions at the Oslo Fjord with current (2 knots), and wind shifts (30°) not making it easy. Thunderstorms and dangerous lightning at the second day of racing, with wind gusts of 40 knots in the thunderstorms and calms afterwards made it hard for the sailors.
Although a Swede took the Championship, it was hard fought, and it seems that the Swedish domination is not as as it used to be. With new faces and crews in the class, including crews from Australia (Brad Hiles) and Germany (Frank Sothmann), who were able to catch up with the leading boats and win races, too.
Rnk-Nation-Sail.nr.-Helmsman-R 1-Pts-R 2-Pts-R 3-Pts-R4-Pts-R5-Pts-R 6-Pts-R 7-Pts-R 8-Pts-R 9-Pts-Total Points
1. SWE-320-Arne Sjøberg-5-5-11- -2-2-1-1-1-1-8-8-2-2-3-3-2-2-24
2. NOR-9111-Terje Wang-4-4-7-7-4-4-20- -2-2-1-1-5-5-1-1-3-3-27
3. NOR-8212-Torgeir Pedersen-7-7-1-1-5-5-10-10-BFD- -2-2-1-1-2-2-5-5-33
4. NOR-10245-Erling Landsværk-3-3-4-4-10-10-2-2-8-8-4-4-4-4-22-22-24- -57
5. GER-249-Frank Sothmann-11-11-12-12-3-3-19- -9-9-3-3-9-9-18-18-1-1-66
6. NOR-9918-Stefan Winberg-1-1-2-2-1-1-17-17-BFD- -BFD-37-3-3-5-5-9-9-75
7. SWE-117-Martin Steen-6-6-10-10-8-8-9-9-14-14-BFD- -7-7-4-4-23-23-81
8. SWE-139-Markus Larsson-8-8-8-8-9-9-31-31-5-5-11-11-10-10-32- -7-7-89
9. AUS-217-Brad Hiles-2-2-26- -19-19-8-8-4-4-22-22-20-20-9-9-6-6-90
10. NOR-8564-Claus Landmark-9-9-18-18-7-7-15-15-16-16-7-7-6-6-17-17-28- -95
Full reports and results are available at the 11 Metre Class website.