Mostly new winners topped the scoreboard yesterday in the 21-mile distance race that separates the two racing segments of the New York Yacht Club Race Week at Newport presented by Rolex.
Winning in IMS Racing Class 1 was the Swan 56 Neva, owned by Rob Watson of New York, N.Y. According to Neva's boat captain Mike Clayton of Islesboro, Maine, the race's two long legs--from Beavertail to Point Judith and back--favored his luxury cruising boat much more than the 'round-the-buoys racing that he and over 600 sailors have enjoyed over the last four days.
"We're three times heavier than Idler and Carrera, so the fewer tacks we do the better," said Watson, who admitted that, while postponed for an hour before the 12:15 start, his crew watched bits of an Austin Powers movie below deck. (It was the first time in five days at this Race Week that the Race Committee has had to wait for wind.)
"We weren't chasing Idler and Carrera," he continued. "We were being conservative, and I think it was in the last half mile that we made up our time on them."
The 52 boats in today's fleet started in a light southwesterly that built to 15 knots. "The trick was to hit the shore early and then get out at the best time to avoid the incoming tide," said Tim Woodhouse, the only winner today who had also taken class honors yesterday at the awards for the handicap racing. "It was another fantastic day of sailing," said Woodhouse, who will compete aboard a Farr 40 for the one-design racing that begins this Friday. "I wonder what the weather is going to do this weekend? Is it going to pay us back for all the great sailing we've been having?," he said, laughing.
Tomorrow is registration for over 90 boats entered in the one-design racing, which continues through Sunday.
IMS Racing Class 1 (five boats)
1. Neva, Swan 56, Bob Watson, New York, N.Y., 2:51.27
2. Idler, N/M50, George David, Hartford, Conn. 2:51.37
3. Javelin, FRR49, Larry Bulman, Bethesda, Md., 2:52.07
PHRF Class 2 (three boats)
1. Rumours, CSTM35, Tim Woodhouse, Newport, R.I., 2:52.59
2. Stars & Stripes, RP50, Dennis Conner, San Diego, Calif., 3:01.05
3. Irie, TRP47, Brian Cunha, Newport, R.I. (DNC)
12M Class 2 (two boats)
1. Fiddler, 12M, Alfred Van Liew, Newport, R.I., 3:10.52
2. Hissar, 12M, Edgar Cato, Newport, R.I. (DNC)
IMS40 Class 2 (six boats)
1. Montana, TRP41, William Felton, Westport, Conn., 2:49.10
2. More War Stories, ILC40, Robert Bayer, Greenwich, Conn., 2:49.26
3. Pterodactyl, CSTM43, Scott Weisman, White Plains, N.Y., 2:54.20
PHRF Class 3 (14 boats)
1. Wairere, T30, Chris Bouzaid, Jamestown, R.I. 2:51.56
2. Wave Train, SWN44, Watt Webb, Ithaca, N.Y., 2:52.14
3. Amadeus, IMX40, Udo Schroff, East Greenwich, R.I., 2:53.6
PHRF Class 4 (11 boats)
1. Wazimo, QST31, Barrett Holby, Bristol, R.I., 2:52.01
2. Rutaine, C&C37, Dave McLoughlin, Wickford, R.I., 2:56.43
3. Astrid, CSTM36, Michael Wallace, Darien, Conn., 2:57.53
PHRF Class 5 (11 boats)
1. Vigilant, NVY44, Robert Aho, Annapolis, Md., 2:50.12
2. Firewater, COOK37, Jesse Waters, San Francisco, Calif., 2:52.11
3. Bada Bing, EVE322, Jonathan Davis, Orange, Conn., 2:52.38