Sailors from six continents figured in the top 11 after the first three races of the ADT Optimist Worlds in Texas yesterday.
Winds, which had been 20-25 knots during the practice days, fell to 10-12 knots with a "difficult" wave pattern.
The Asian countries, who did so well at the 2001 Worlds in China, showed that they could do well in American waters too. Colin Cheng (SIN) leads from Holland's Steven le Fevre and his own team-mate Teo Wee Chin.
Meanwhile, Xu Lijia (CHN), best Girl in 2001, has established an early lead over Tina Mrak (SLO), who placed behind Lijia last year as second best Girl. Both remain within the age limit.
Oceanian champion Tieki Hacheche (TAH), Sebastian Brusa (ARG) and
Jesse Kirkland (BER) contribute to the truly cosmopolitan leaderboard.
Position - Sail # - Name - Race 1- Race 2- Race3-Total Points
2. NED2447-Steven leFevre-(Boy)-6-1-1-8
3. SIN196-Wee Chin Teo-(Boy)-3-4-3-10
4. ESP630-Eduardo Zalvide-(Boy)-1-2-9-12
5. CRO831-Stjepan Cesic-(Boy)-4-5-3-12
6. CRO819-Filip Matika-(Boy)-5-3-4-12
7. CHN106-Xu Lijia-(Girl)-6-11-1-18
8. TAH149-Hacheche Teiki-(Boy)-2-10-6-18
9. ARG2660-Sebastian Peri Brusa-(Boy)-3-13-3-19
10. JPN2883-Ryutaro Kawai-(Boy)-3-1-17-21