The Submission received a significant amount of support around the table. Class representative Jeff MARTIN (GBR)
|2008 ISAF Annual Conference - Quick Links|
|Click on the links below for all the key info on the 2008 ISAF Annual Conference|
|All the Conference news|
|ISAF Rolex World Sailor of the Year Awards|
|ISAF Meetings microsite|
Eric TULLA (PUR) added, "It's important we make plans with sufficient lead time to prepare ourselves for future Games."
Following these recommendations, Submission 082-08 was passed by Council.
The Volvo Youth Sailing ISAF World Championship was the next issue on the table. The Youth World Championship Sub-Committee and Events Committee recommended the expansion of the championship to include an additional Open High Performance Dinghy event sailed in the 29er. "Our philosophy with the championship has been to evolve over time," explained Youth Worlds Sub-Committee chairman Fiona KIDD (CAN). "This is the way forward. The youth sailors of the world want a high performance dinghy and we should give it to them."
Council agreed with this recommendation and approved Submissions 101-08 and 105-08 to add an Open High Performance Dinghy - 29er event to the Youth Worlds.
Returning to the Olympic Sailing Competition, the ISAF Council approved the Qualification System for 2012. The system follows the same format used for the 2004 and 2008 Games. Qualification will take place over two events, with 75% of national places decided at the 2011 ISAF Sailing World Championships and the remaining 25% at the 2012 Class World Championships (or Continental Championships if approved by ISAF). Full details will be published on the ISAF Olympic microsite www.sailing.org/olympics shortly.
Looking at equipment issues, the Council supported the recommendations of the Equipment Committee to approved applications from the Kiteboarding Association and O'pen Bic Association for ISAF International Class Status. The application from the Maxi Class for International status was deferred, whilst applications from both the X-41 Class Association and Melges 32 Class Association for ISAF Recognized Status were approved.
ISAF President Göran PETERSSON (SWE) ended the Council meeting by paying tribute to the hosts of this year's ISAF Annual Conference, the Real Federación Española de Vela and presented an engraved glass decanter to Gerardo POMBO (ESP), the President of the Spanish Federation.
Following the conclusion on the Council meeting, the ISAF General Assembly will be held in Madrid this afternoon. This will include the election of the ISAF President and the seven Vice-Presidents for 2009-2012. Full details at www.sailing.org/generalassembly.
ISAF Meeting microsite - www.sailing.org/meetings