International Federations, governing bodies and sporting events are having to adapt and seize the opportunities and create commercial properties that excite and engage both existing and new fans and sponsors in a crowded marketplace.
On Wednesday 9 November at World Sailing's 2016 Annual Conference in Barcelona, Spain, The Commercial Strategy for the Sport Forum will provide a platform for delegates and an online audience to share ideas, best practice and discuss the route to successful commercialisation and growing new audiences for the sport of sailing.
The Forum will be broadcast on World Sailing's YouTube Channel on 9 November from 09:30 to 13:30 local time, 08:30 to 12:30 UTC and those watching will be encouraged to get involved with the discussions by using the 2016 Annual Conference hashtag, #OurSustainableFuture, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The forum will be available to view using the links below:
URL - https://youtu.be/CPC31k0NkQo
EMBED - <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CPC31k0NkQo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The Commercial Strategy for the Sport Forum will be hosted by broadcaster, adventurer and sailor, Hannah White, who will be joined by an expert line up of speakers. The content will include:
- The vision for World Sailing's commercial growth by Hugh Chambers, World Sailing Chief Commercial Officer
- Creating world class sailing events with Mark Turner, CEO of the Volvo Ocean Race, and formerly the Extreme Sailing Series
- Uli Lacher- Founder of Lacher Consulting will take a look at consumer research, the foundation of a commercial strategy
- David Abercrombie - CEO of Yachting New Zealand will explain how to develop successful partnerships for a World Sailing MNA: A Case Study on Yachting NZL
- Seizing the new sports broadcast opportunities with Andrew Preece - Executive Director of Sunset+Vine and Matt Sheahan - Head of Performance Sailing at Sunset+Vine
- Head of Sports at Facebook, Jerry Newman will present on building engagement: Sport and Facebook
- Stephen Nuttall, Head of Sport at YouTube EMEA will be looking at new ways of broadcasting using YouTube
- And David Warren, Head of Partnerships at FIA Formula E will highlight how the world of sponsorship is embracing sustainability
- What sponsors are looking for today in sailing, with Alistair Watkins, Founder of Influence Sports
The Commercial Strategy for the Sport Forum is one of three open forums to be streamed live and online during the 2016 Annual Conference: Our Sustainable Future. The Sustainability Forum will open proceedings on Monday 7 November followed by the Para World Sailing Forum on Tuesday 8 with the Commercial Strategy for the Sport Forum on Wednesday 9 November.
The dialogue and engagement of the 2016 Annual Conference will be centred on an overarching theme of, 'Our Sustainable Future.' Sailing will be laying down plans for a healthy sustainable future for the sport, as well as the more specific subject of sustainability in the waters of the world.
The Forums will feature world leading experts and panel discussions, providing the basis for debate around sustainability across multiple facets of the sport.
By Daniel Smith - World Sailing
About World Sailing's Annual Conference
World Sailing's Annual Conference brings together up to 700 delegates every first full week of November. It is the central meeting point where the strategy of sailing is reviewed, discussed and celebrated.
Over the Annual Conference, participants plan for the future, make key decisions to drive the sport forward, share best practice and generate new ideas.
The 2016 Annual Conference will be held in Barcelona, Spain at the Hotel Renaissance Barcelona Fira from 5-13 November.