Racing got underway yesterday in the 12th annual Boat U.S. Santa Maria Cup women's match racing regatta, hosted by Eastport Yacht Club in Annapolis, Maryland.
A total of seven flights were completed in light but relatively steady southeasterly breezes. The matches are being contested in J/22s by teams of four women led by a number of the world's top-ranked match racers as well as a handful of newcomers. With 10 teams racing, 18 flights will be needed to complete the double round-robin phase of the regatta, before the semi-final and final rounds.
Hot off a win at ISAF Match Racing World Championships in Spain last month, San Franciscan Liz Baylis, ranked sixth in the ISAF world match racing rankings, was leading the pack at the end of the day, having defeated second-placer Giulia Conti, ranked 12th, of Toscolano Maderno, Italy, in the fourth flight. Both women have won six out of their seven matches, while Sweden's Marie Bjorling, currently ranked first in the world, holds third place with five wins and two losses.
Standings after 7 flights/RR #1:
1. Liz Baylis (6), USA, 6 wins-1 loss
2. Giulia Conti (12), ITA, 6 wins-1 loss
3. Marie Bjorling (1), SWE, 5 wins-2 losses
4. Sabrina Gurioli (9), ITA, 5 wins-2 losses
5. Marie Faure (13), FRA, 4 wins-3 losses
6. Carol Cronin (NR), USA, 3 wins-4 losses
7. Sandy Grosvenor (14), USA, 3 wins-4 losses
8. Deborah Willits (83), USA, 2 wins-5 losses
9. Charlie Arms (29), USA, 1 win-6 losses
10. Capucine Pin (NR), FRA, 0 wins-7 losses