It was an all-British finale at the Compagnia della vela Grosseto-hosted RS Feva World Championship 2013 with all three steps of the podium occupied by duos from Great Britain.
The new World Champions after 14 races are young Hanna Bristow and Bobby Hewitt (GBR) of Leigh and Lowton YC who controlled their nearest rivals' every move in a 240° wind blowing at 10 knots. They took home a seventh and a 12th-place finish that saw them end the week with a total score of 34 points.
A good 21 points behind them in second place are their fellow countrymen Wells/Todd, who take the silver medal on 55 points, just one ahead of Brown/Davies (GBR ), on the third step on 56 points. Unfortunately, the Italian former World Champions Stocchero/Virgenti did not make it to the podium and, as a result of a 16th and a 3rd place on this final day's racing, had to content themselves with the wooden medal on a score of 75 points. Brits Grade/Prescott also ended up 5th on 77 points ahead of the Italians Porro/Dall'Ora. The winners of the qualifiers, however, can rejoice in having taken the All Girls prize for female crews while the Family prize went to Will and Matt Taylor.
The standings for the other two fleets were also British-dominated with Vennis-Ozanne/Lewis topping the Silver standings ahead of Italians Tognoni/Quilici and Mulcahy/Lindsay-Brown dominating the Bronze.
RS Feva World Championship - Final Standings Gold - Top 5
Complete standings available from: www.sailwave.com/results/RSFevaWorlds2013.htm
The first score awarded for the qualifiers (cannot be discarded)
1. GBR 4610 - Hannah Bristow / Bobby Hewitt - Leigh and Lowton - 3, 3, 1, 6, 1, 1, (14), 7, 12 - 34 points
2. GBR 4332 - Elliot Wells / Jake Todd - Hayling Island Sailing Club - 2, 2, 2, (23), 3, 5, 7, 20, 14 - 55 pt
3. GBR 4768 - Arthur Brown / Niamh Davies - Royal Burnham YC - 9, 1, (17), 10, 6, 6, 1, 6, 17 - 56 pt
4. ITA 4698 - Leonardo Stocchero / Gianluca Virgenti - CV Toscolano Maderno - 5, 7, 9, 13, (58 BDF), 14, 8, 16, 3 - 75 pt
5. GBR 4924 - Samuel Grade / Katie Prescott - Lymington Town/Hayling Island - 25, 6, 4, 1, (58 BFD), 4, 6, 11, 20 - 77 pt
Final event report from RS Sailing