The final day of the New York Women's Invitational, the penultimate event of the inaugural 2013 Women's International Match Racing Series, started with light winds but yet fairly stable conditions in the morning. As the wind dropped after two flights, the race committee decided to move the course and continue racing in more fluctuating conditions closer to shore: "We sailed the first two races without any mistakes and with a great focus, coming off the line in good positions and then being able to race our own way round the course, stretching our lead further. When we lost the third race the conditions were OK but not more, and then in the fourth race it was more like a lottery to get the puffs" Anna Kjellberg comments, obviously satisfied with the outcome of the day.
"We were definitely prepared to take a fifth race if we would have had to, but I think the race committee did the right thing to abandon racing in these conditions. It's been a tough day for them too."
Kjellberg's final opponent, Lucy Macgregor, struggled a little in the morning, losing her first two final matches to Kjellberg: "My starting was not very good, and in these conditions the starts were everything. We were just over the line too early in the first match, and then got a penalty in the second. In the next two races we started really well so I'm pleased we came back to get to 2 - 2" Macgregor says. Not very surprisingly she was more keen than Kjellberg on getting a fifth race underway, but unfortunately saw her chances disappear as time went on and the little wind there was dropped even further: "The race committee tried really hard to get all the racing in, so overall I don't think we can be too disappointed. Anna sailed a great regatta so I am pleased for her and her crew" Lucy comments, looking forward to the upcoming World Championships in Nacra 17.
In the petit final Lotte Meldgaard Pedersen (DEN) defeated Stephanie Roble (USA) in two straight matches to get third place in New York Women's Invitational: "Coming here with a completely new crew with very various experience we had no expectations at all. But we evolved a lot during the week and I'm very pleased to end up on a podium position" Lotte smiles. Stephanie Roble experienced difficulties in finding wind pressure and avoiding current on the race course, still managing to give the Danish skipper a fight: "In the first race they snuck right by us at the finish line, as we had totally different breeze coming down the last run. In the second race we executed the start we wanted, but weren't able to hold Lotte off after she found some good pressure on the right side of the course" Stephanie explains.
The next and final event on the inaugural 2013 Women's International Match Racing Series is Lysekil Women's Match in Lysekil, Sweden, 5-10 August. A WIMRS prize purse of 50 000 USD will be distributed among the top three WIMRS skippers after the Lysekil event. Since Lotte Meldgaard Pedersen and Stephanie Roble will not be present in Lysekil, it will be Camilla Ulrikkeholm, Anna Kjellberg and of course the current WIMRS leader Lucy Macgregor battling it out for the win.
Final results (skipper/crew/nationality/prize money)
1. Anna Kjellberg, Karin Almquist, Vanja Lundberg, Marie Berg, Annie Wennergren, Annika Carlunger (SWE) 2 600 USD
2. Lucy Macgregor, Penny Clark, Kate Macgregor, Claire Lasko, Jody Sanders, Alana O'Reilly )GBR) 1 600 USD
3. Lotte Meldgaard Pedersen, Anna Holmdahl White/Wyz Mooney, Liz Baylis, Brittany Demetriou, Sonja Draben, Dawn Riley (DEN) 1 300 USD
4. Stephanie Roble, Jessica Eastwell, Maggie Shea, Martha Pitt, Ann Schwagerl, Kyra Goldsmith (USA) 1 100 USD
5. Caroline Sylvan, Megan Six, Anne Corvi, Sara Sigvardsdotter, My Karlsten, Theres Wolgast (SWE) 1 000 USD
6. Nicole Breault, Molly Carapiet, Dana Riley, Julie Servais, Karen Loutzenheiser, Julie Mitchell (USA) 900 USD
7. Claudia Pierce, Alessandra Angelini, Paige Cook, Marie Kent, Janelle Peat, Aimee Famularo (NZL) 800 USD
8. Madeline Gill, Farrah Hall, Chantal Hearst, Danielle Gallo, Sue Disanti, Laurel Gaudet (USA) 700 USD
Top 10 - Standings in the 2013 Women's International Match Racing Series after four events (skipper/nationality/WIMRS points)
1. Lucy Macgregor (GBR) - 66 pts
2. Anna Kjellberg (SWE) - 61 pts
3. Stephanie Roble (USA) - 47 pts
4. Lotte Meldgaard Pedersen (DEN) - 44 pts
4. Camilla Ulrikkeholm (DEN) - 44 pts
6. Caroline Sylvan (SWE) - 26 pts
7. Tamara Echegoyen - (ESP) 25 pts
7. Klaartje Zuiderbaan - NED, 25 pts
7. Claudia Pierce (NZL) - 25 pts
10. Julie Bossard (FRA) - 22 p[ts