It was Meldgaard Pedersen who stepped forward and stole the show on day one, lining up six victories and no losses at all, "Well, we had a really good day, enjoying being back in match racing again", said Lotte, who has only competed in a regatta in the US Virgin Islands since participating in the London 2012 Olympic Sailing Competition.
The waters of Skovshoved, situated in Öresund between Denmark and Sweden, offered hot and sunny weather with very light and puffy winds and also some major wind shifts. The Danish Open Ladies Cup is the third event on the inaugural 2013 Women's International Match Racing Series, but the first with Lotte Meldgaard Pedersen participating. Handling the main sheet in her boat is fellow Danish Olympian, 470 skipper Henriette Koch, appreciating her first time match racing, "It was great fun, but very different than many other types of sailing I've done, Koch comments with a big smile."
Lucy Macgregor of Great Britain won the first WIMR Series event in France earlier this year, and has come to Denmark to defend her top position on the Series' ranking. In her match against Lotte Meldgaard Pedersen she however suffered from an unexpected 30 degree wind shift, letting the Danish skipper stretch her lead all the way through the finish line, "It was so light winds, we were just drifting around, Macgregor sighs, explaining that she has never sailed in Skovshoved before. - But normally I like tricky conditions, when you have to chase the pressure, she adds, happy for the four straight victories to come after the first defeat. - It wasn't easy but it was good to win four matches" said Macgregor, runner-up on the scoreboard after day one of the Danish event.
Also on four victories, but with two losses, is Dutch skipper Klaartje Zuiderbaan, who enjoyed racing in the light winds, "I have a new crew for this regatta, and it's always easier for them to adapt when the loads on things are not as heavy" she explains.
Standings after the first day of round-robin 1 (skipper/nationality/wins/losses)
1. Lotte Meldgaard Pedersen, DEN, 6 - 0
2. Lucy Macgregor, GBR, 4 - 1
3. Anna Kjellgren, SWE, 3 - 1
4. Klaartje Zuiderbaan, NED, 4 - 2
5. Anna Kjellberg, SWE, 2 - 2
6. Merel Witteveen, NED, 2 - 3
7. Stephanie Roble, USA, 1 - 4
7. Camilla Ulrikkeholm, DEN, 1 - 4
9. Anne Marit Hansen, NOR, 0 - 6
Standings in the 2013 Women's International Match Racing Series after two events (skipper/nationality/WIMRS points)
1. Tamara Echegoyen (ESP) - 25
1. Lucy Macgregor (GBR) - 25
1. Anna Kjellberg (SWE) - 25
4. Camilla Ulrikkeholm (DEN) - 22
4. Julie Bossard (FRA) - 22
6. Stephanie Roble (USA) - 20
7. Katie Spithill (AUS) - 19
8. Alexa Bezel (SUI) - 17
8. Claudia Pierce (NZL) - 17
9. Klaartje Zuiderbaan (NED) - 16
11. Ekaterina Skudina (RUS) - 15
12. Caroline Sylvan (SWE) - 14
13. Susannah Pyatt (NZL) - 9
14. Milly Bennett, AUS, 8
15. Sung-Eun Choi, KOR, 4
15. Morgane Dréau, FRA, 4