The International Olympic Committee (IOC) launched its completely revamped internet site, www.olympic.org, yesterday, Thursday 31 January 2002.
The redesign of the site is an outgrowth of the IOC's desire to improve its communication with Olympic enthusiasts.
Geared to the interest of Olympic fans, the site highlights Olympic athletes, Games, and sports, as well as the workings of the IOC. More than 7,000 images, 1,200 audio and video files, and 700,000 words, help bring the Olympic values and experience alive for the viewer. It is thought to be the most extensive Olympic site available in both French and English.
The new www.olympic.org will enable its visitors to:
- relive the achievements of athletes who have become part of Olympic history
- discover the Olympic sports and disciplines, past and present
- learn about the history of the Games from Athens 1896 to Sydney 2000, and discover highlights, innovations, anecdotes, lists of medallists and details of ceremonies, as well as the symbols of each of the Games (torch, emblem, medals, poster and mascot)
- explore the Olympic Movement and learn about its mission and its activities
- enter the world of Olympic enthusiasts, both that of the Olympic Museum and that of Olympic object collectors.