Dominique WAVRE Finishes in Fourth Place
Les Sables d'Olonne, France
It was at 05:15:20 GMT this Tuesday 8 February 2005 that the 60 foot monohull Temenos skippered by Dominique WAVRE crossed the finish line of the Vendée Globe 2004, a single-handed race, without stopovers and without assistance departing and finishing in Les Sables d'Olonne, FRA.
The race time to make the 23 680 miles is 92 days 17hours and 13 minutes and 20 seconds at an average theoretical speed across the course of 10,64 knots.
References (GMT) :
- Start and finish : Les Sables d'Olonne (France)
- Number of miles to cover : 23 680 miles
- Start date : Sunday 7 November 2004 at 1202 GMT
- Date of first arrival : Vincent Riou (PRB) on Wednesday 2 February 2005 at 22hr 49mn 55sec.
- Date of second arrival : Jean Le Cam (Bonduelle) on Thursday 3 February 2005 at 05hr 22mn 08sec.
- Date of third arrival: Mike Golding on Friday 4 February 2005 at 03 hr 17 minutes 13 seconds.
- Wavre's Race time : 92 days 17 hours 13 minutes 25seconds.
- Delay behind leader :.5 days 6 hours 25 minutes 25 secondes
Dominique WAVRE's Race (Temenos) :
- Equator : 11 days 18 hours 28 minutes (19/11 at 0530 GMT)
- Good Hope : 27 days 23 hours 43 minutes (5/12 at 1045 GMT)
- Cape Leeuwin : 40 days 10 hours 08 minutes (17/12 at 2110 GMT)
- Cape Horn : 61 days 18 hours 28 minutes (8/01 at 0530 GMT)
- Equator : 77 days 7 hours 28 minutes (23/01 at 1830 GMT)
At the age of 49, Dominique WAVRE is one of the most experienced single-handed yachtsmen. After four Whitbreads (the crewed race around the world with stopovers) and one Vendée Globe, the Swiss skipper decided to take part in this Vendée Globe to complete his sixth circumnavigation. Just as at ease with a crew as sailing solo, Dominique Wavre has taken part four times in the Figaro single-handed event - winning second place in 1990. In spite of scraping together a budget at the last moment, Dominique and his team managed to get some serious work done on the 60-foot monohull, aboard which he finished in fifth place in the 2000-01 Vendée Globe.