Earlier in the morning MIRSKY had chosen to sail David WOOD (NZL) in the semi-final, and had defeated the Kiwi 2-1. In the other semi final Hobie 16 ISAF Youth Worlds Champion WALKER beat Phil ROBERTSON (NZL) 2-0.
When asked about his choice of WOOD in the semi-final, MIRSKY responded, 'Because we thought we could out pre-start him, which was proven wrong in the first race when we got a double penalty,' he said laughing 'But we were fast downwind!'
He continued, 'We just sort of worked the waves, pumping and it was kind of windy so we were surfing the waves.'
MIRSKY also reflected on the significance of the win, 'We definitely enjoyed it! It was good fun - and means a lot because it is the last youth event I can do and I haven't won a Graded event before.'
Speaking of his plans for the future MIRSKY said, 'I go back to uni, and this year we are going to stay at home and train, do the Australian Nationals and hopefully the New Zealand Nationals and then go to Europe next year.'
Third place ROBERTSON was delighted with the results, 'Awesome day, team really worked well together - we were gutted not to make the finals, but happy with third,' he reflected. 'We learnt from the mistakes we made in the round robins and capitalized on them today.'
He added, 'Full credit to the race committee, they put 110% in and managed to get the regatta in tough conditions. Thank you the Lion Foundation Youth Training Programme for giving me this opportunity.'
RNZYS Youth International Match Racing Championship Final Standings
1. Torvar MIRSKY (AUS), Fremantle Sailng Club
2. Evan WALKER (AUS), Cruising Yacht Club of Australia
3. Phil ROBERTSON (NZL), Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron Red
4. David WOOD (NZL), Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron Blue
5. Robert GIBBS (AUS), Royal Perth Yacht Club
6. Stuart POLLARD (AUS), Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron
7. Hamish ROUGHLEY (AUS), Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club
8. Samantha OSBORNE (NZL), Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron Pink
9. Theo MCDONNELL (NZL), Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club
10. Casey SCHILLING (NZL), Balboa Yacht Club