Those classes are: 49er, 470 (Men and Women), Finn, Laser, Laser Radial, RS:X (Men and Women), Star, Tornado and Yngling. The US Sailing Team was created in 1986 to recruit and develop the top American sailors for the upcoming Olympic Games.
The US Sailing Team rankings are based on attendance and performance at qualifying events. Athletes who have qualified for the US Sailing Team are identified as strong contenders to go to the Olympic Games. As members of the Team, they will be assisted with coaching, logistics, fundraising and other benefits from US SAILING.
The members of the 2007 US Sailing Team are:
1. Morgan LARSON (Capitola, Calif.)/Pete SPAULDING (Santa Cruz, Calif.)
2. Tim WADLOW (Beverly, Mass.)/Chris RAST (Wake Forest, N.C.)
3. Dalton BERGAN (Seattle, Wash.)/Zack MAXAM (Coronado, Calif.)
470 Men (Men's Two-Person Dinghy)
1. Mikee ANDERSON-MITTERLING (Coronado, Calif.)/David HUGHES (San Diego, Calif.)
2. Stu MCNAY (Boston, Mass.)/Graham BIEHL (San Diego, Calif.)
3. Justin LAW (Newport Beach, Calif.)/Michael MILLER (Charleston, S.C.)
470 Women (Women's Two-Person Dinghy)
1. Amanda CLARK (Shelter Island, N.Y.)/Sarah MERGENTHALER (Harvey Cedars, N.J.)
2. Erin MAXWELL (Stonington, Conn.)/Isabelle KINSOLVING (New York, N.Y.)
3. Molly CARAPIET (Belvedere, Calif.) /Molly O'BRYAN (San Diego, Calif.)
Finn (Heavyweight Dinghy)
1. Zach RAILEY (Clearwater, Fla.)
2. Geoffrey EWENSON (Annapolis, Md.)
3. Darrell PECK (Gresham, Ore.)
Laser (Men's One Person Dinghy)
1. Brad FUNK (Clearwater, Fla.)
2. Andrew CAMPBELL (San Diego, Calif.)
3. Kurt TAULBEE (Dunedin, Fla.)
Neil Pryde RS:X Men (Men's Windsurfer)
1. Ben BARGER (St. Petersburg, Fla.)
2. Bob WILLIS (Chicago, Ill.)
3. Mark POWELL (Coconut Grove, Fla.)
Neil Pryde RS:X Women (Women's Windsurfer)
1. Nancy RIOS (Cocoa, Fla.)
2. Karen MARRIOTT (Lakewood, Colo.)
3. Farrah HALL (Annapolis, Md.)
Star (Men's Keelboat)
1. John DANE (Gulfport, Miss.)/ Austin SPERRY (Gulfport, Miss.)
2. Andy MACDONALD (Laguna Beach, Calif.)/Brian FAITH (Miami, Fla.)
3. John MACCAUSLAND (Medford, N.J.)/ Bob SCHOFIELD (Annapolis, Md.)
1. John LOVELL (New Orleans, La.)/Charlie OGLETREE (Kemah, TX)
2. Robbie DANIEL (Clearwater, Fla.)/Hunter STUNZI (Marblehead, Mass.)
3. Don THINSCHMIDT (Holland, Mich.)/Drew WIERDA (Miami, Fla.)
Yngling (Women's Keelboat)
1. Sally BARKOW (Chenequa, Wis.)/Debbie CAPOZZI (Bayport, N.Y.)/Carrie HOWE (Grosse Pointe, Mich.)
2. Carol CRONIN (Jamestown, R.I.)/Kim COURANZ (Annapolis, Md.)/Margaret BONDS PODLICH (Annapolis, Md.)
'We expect extraordinary results from this talented group of athletes. The 2007 US Sailing Team is an exceptional collection of experienced veterans and rising stars,' said High Performance Director and Head Coach Gary BODIE (Hampton, Va.). In addition to BODIE, the Team is coached by Olympic Coaches Luther CARPENTER (LaPorte, TX) and Skip WHYTE (Wickford, R.I.).
Sponsors of the 2007 US Sailing Team are: Rolex Watch U.S.A., Vanguard Sailboats, Nautica, Gill, Sperry Top-Sider, RIBCRAFT, Harken, New England Ropes, Extrasport, Nikon and Team McLube. The 2008 Olympic Games are scheduled for August 8-24, 2008, in Beijing, China. The Olympic Regatta will be held in Qingdao, a coastal city located 430 miles southeast of Beijing.
For more information on the 2007 US Sailing Team and ranking system, please visit www.ussailing.org/olympics/usst.htm.
About the US Sailing Team
The US Sailing Team is managed by US SAILING, national governing body of the sport. Headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US SAILING's mission is to encourage participation and promote excellence in sailing in the U.S. US SAILING offers training and education programs, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including the US Sailing Teams and the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Sailing Teams. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.