Trimarans Get Underway
The 2,600 mile IB Group Challenge is underway with the six competitors onboard 60 foot trimarans leaving Lorient, France yesterday. After their first night at sea the leaders are now approaching the 2,000 mile to go mark as they head towards the finish at Nice, France.
It only took 18 hours for the leaders to make it to Finisterre, covering the 300 miles at more than 16.5 knots average speed. However breeze dropped in the middle of the morning and Pascal BIDÉGORRY was the beneficiary overtaking Franck CAMMAS to assume a narrow lead.
The boats head to Gibraltar and then Malte in Sicily, Italy before arriving at the finish in Alpes-Maritimes, Nice.
(at 0900 hours French time this morning)
- Bank Populaire, Pascal BIDÉGORRY - 2,134 miles from the finish
- Groupama-2, Franck CAMMAS - 7 miles from the leader
- Gitana 11, Frederic PEUTREC - 24 miles from the leader
- Géant, Michel DESJOYEAUX - 28 miles from the leader
- Gitana X, Thierry DUPREY - 40 miles from the leader
- Foncia, Armel CLÉAC'H - 41 miles from the leader