One of the reasons for this high level of aggressiveness was not just the usual incentive to win Tour points and a piece of the 50,000 Euro prize money purse, but that the 8-10 knot wind conditions were perfect for tight manoeuvring in the Swedish Match 40's used in this event. Also, in the Rio Sado course area just north of the Troia Resort venue a strong flood current early followed by a strong ebb later in the day made the pre-start fight for the favoured end all the more intense in each match.
Another particularly aggressive pair was the match-up between Ian WILLIAMS and Sébastien COL (FRA) and his French Match Racing Team/K-Challenge. COL had a good start to the series, winning their first match, but this ignited WILLIAMS determination, taking three straight by showing an aggressive style and smooth teamwork appropriate for the reigning two-time World Match Race Champion. COL won this event last year, and finished last year's Tour overall as runner-up to WILLIAMS, but has been having problems finding his stride as yet this year.
So, tomorrow will be the final day of match race action on the Rio Sado at Troia Resort, with results and reports of the Semi-Final and Final rounds available online at www.wmrt.org .
Philippe PRESTI (FRA) vs. Torvar MIRSKY (AUS), 1-3
Mathieu RICHARD (FRA) vs. Bjorn HANSEN (SWE), 3-1
Peter GILMOUR (AUS) vs. Adam MINOPRIO (NZL) 2-3
Sébastien COL (FRA) vs. Ian WILLIAMS (GBR) 1-3
Round Robin Results
1. Philippe PRESTI (FRA), French Match Racing Team
2. Mathieu RICHARD (FRA), French Match Racing Team
3. Peter GILMOUR (AUS), YANMAR Racing
4. Ian WILLIAMS (GBR), Bahrain Team Pindar
5. Adam MINOPRIO (NZL), ETNZ/BlackMatch
6. Sébastien COL (FRA), French Match Racing Team/K-Challenge
7. Torvar MIRSKY (AUS), Mirsky Racing
8. Bjorn HANSEN (SWE), Team Onboard
9. Phil ROBERTSON (NZL), WAKA Racing
10. Álvaro MARINHO (POR), Seth Sailing Team
11. Ian AINSLIE (RSA), Team Proximo
12. Andrew ARBUZOV (RUS)
ISAF Match Racing World Championship Leaderboard
(Top eight teams after Stage 3 of 10)
1. Adam MINOPRIO (NZL), Emirates Team New Zealand/Black Match Racing, 41 points
2. Ben AINSLIE (GBR), Team Origin, 40 points
3. Mathieu RICHARD (FRA), French Match Racing Team/ French Team Spirit, 35 points
4. Ian WILLIAMS (GBR), Bahrain Team Pindar, 34 points
5. Damien IEHL (FRA), French Match Racing Team, 32 points
6. Paolo CIAN (ITA), Team Shosholoza, 32 points
7. Peter GILMOUR (AUS), YANMAR Racing, 23 points
8. Torvar MIRSKY (AUS) Mirsky Racing Team, 21 points
The winner of the annual World Match Racing Tour is crowned as ISAF Match Racing World Champion. Find out more at www.sailing.org/matchworlds.