The Official
Website of the
Sailing Federation
21 November 2009, 10:04 am
Emirates Team New Zealand to Meet Azzura in the Final of the Louis Vuitton Trophy in Nice
ETNZ despatches Synergy to claim place in the Final
Synergy heads on starboard tack towards Emirates Team New Zealand.

Louis Vuitton Trophy - Nice 2009
Nice, France

Team Origin evened the score agains Azzura yesterday in the Semi-Final Round of the Louis Vuitton Trophy Nice Côte d'Azur whilst a visit to the protest room for Emirates Team New Zealand and Synergy Russia Sailing team set up winner takes all matches for Saturday morning.
The final two matches of the semi-finals took place this morning with Emirates Team New Zealand seeing off the Russian challenge of Karol Jablonski's Synergy. In the first match of the day, Azzura defeated Team Origin to line up against ETNZ in the Final.

International Jury Rules

Emirates Team New Zealand has been the strongest team at the Louis Vuitton Trophy Nice Côte d'Azur. Synergy Russia Sailing Team has been the most surprising. Those forces collided yesterday in the Semi Final Round of the regatta and the two teams went to the protest room trying to resolve an incident at the finish of their second race.

In the second race Emirates Team New Zealand had been penalised in the pre-start for gybing too close. The crew carried that penalty around the course. Approaching the finish, Team New Zealand was trying to either complete the 270-degree penalty turn or offset it with a penalty on Synergy when the pair wound up outside the committee boat end of the finish line.

Both crews had their genoas hoisted trying to get upwind and over the top of the committee boat, but Team New Zealand got close to the committee boat. The New Zealand crew tacked to port and hailed for water, calling the committee boat an obstruction.

Both boats were downspeed in the sloppy seaway and they collided, Synergy's port side hitting Team New Zealand's starboard side.

After the match the on-water umpires penalised Emirates Team New Zealand 1 point and Synergy a half point for the beam-on-beam collision that caused some damage to the 24-tonne yachts.

In a later protest hearing the International jury found that there was a hard collision between Team New Zealand and Synergy. The jury deemed that when Synergy, the starboard-tack yacht, became the right-of-way boat it altered course down towards Team New Zealand and didn't do enough to keep clear.

"That change of course was an infringement of Rule 14 (Avoiding Contact), so we deducted a half point for that," said Chief Umpire Bill Edgerton. "In the end we penalised Team new Zealand 1 point and Synergy a half point for the rule to make sure the crews don't do massive damage. Then we deducted a second half point from Synergy for not doing everything to keep clear."

Although the teams have each won a race in their match the score is now 0-0, setting up a one race, winner-take-all match tomorrow morning.

Team New Zealand won a thrilling first race by 20 seconds. The heat featured three lead changes and the Kiwis won after gaining control in a luffing match with the finish line about 10 lengths away.

"It was all on, a very close race," said Team New Zealand tactician Ray Davies. "It was pretty tense onboard. You have to expect close races in this round. We're down to the best teams and you have to expect close, ding-dong races otherwise they wouldn't be worth winning."

In the second race Team New Zealand was penalised in the pre-start for gybing too close. The Kiwis controlled the race around the track, but couldn't get enough separation to perform the 270-degree penalty turn and convert the win.

A collision occurred when the pair was outside the committee boat end of the finish line. According to Synergy skipper Karol Jablonski, Team New Zealand called for water to clear the boat end. Jablonski said he responded to the call, but the yachts were downspeed and he had little steerage. The two 24-tonne yachts collided beam-on-beam and suffered some damage.

Although Synergy won the match on the water to even the score at 1-1, the protest was still hanging in the balance. A ruling was expected later tonight.

Baie des Anges Kicks Up Compelling Conditions

This regatta has suffered through starts and stops the past two weeks due to light winds. But that was all in distant memory today as the conditions on the Baie des Anges kicked up and added a compelling measure to the racing. Five penalties were issued and two teams were OCS as the conditions put a premium on boathandling.

After the morning offshore flow died, the wind shifted to the east and built to 15 knots, with gusts up to 18 knots. There was also a large seaway running as the winds offshore were blowing up to 25 knots.

TeamOrigin of Great Britain evened its match with Azzurra of Italy at 1-1. British skipper Ben Ainslie gained two penalties on his Italian counterpart, Francesco Bruni, in the 5-minute pre-start sequence. Bruni then misjudged his time and distance to the start line. After re-starting Azzurra was well behind TeamOrigin, which won the race by 2 minutes, 29 seconds.

"It was great to finally race in some wind and waves," said Ainslie. "It was a 'must win' race for us and the guys did a great job all the way around. We have a long way to go yet in this competition, being first on tomorrow."

"For sure today was harder for the crew, for everybody,"
said Bruni. "To go from 15 days of very, very light wind and flat water to these conditions, to switch is hardest for me. I wasn't as ready as Ben. I think he did a good job."

All4One Clinches Fifth After Claiming Commanding Lead Against BMW Oracle

In Knockout Round racing, the combined French/German team All4One placed fifth after winning two races. All4One earned a well-deserved win against Artemis by 27 seconds in its first race, and then met BMW Oracle Racing for 5th and 6th places. BMW Oracle had defeated TFS - PagesJaunes in its first race.

BMW Oracle controlled the match early, but made an unforced error at the windward mark. Approaching the first mark on starboard with All4One on its stern, BMW Oracle helmsman Gavin Brady tacked to port to round the mark. But All4One had to bear away to avoid hitting BMW Oracle, and the on-water umpires issued a red flag penalty.

BMW Oracle had to perform its penalty immediately on the run, and when it did so All4One sailed into a commanding lead. All4One won the match by 1 minute, 23 seconds to place 5th and drop BMW Oracle to 6th.

"This morning we had nothing to lose," said All4One helmsman Sébastien Col. "We had the best conditions we could dream of for Nice. We were really waiting for these conditions because I think we have a strong team that can handle the boat well in a breeze. We started the regatta slowly and had some tough moments, but we are happy to finish well. It's good for the team."

Artemis of Sweden placed 7th on countback, and TFS - PagesJaunes finished 8th.

Racing is scheduled to resume on Saturday morning with a warning signal set for 0830 CET. The first race will be between TeamOrigin and Azzurra.

For detailed information please visit the official event Web site, .

Semi Final standings
M1: Emirates Team New Zealand 1, Synergy Russia Sailing Team 0
M2: Azzurra 2, TeamOrigin 1

Knockout Round standings
5th: All4One
6th: BMW Oracle Racing
7th: Artemis
8th: TFS - PagesJaunes

Results - click here

Louis Vuitton Trophy
Share this page
World Sailing TV
Latest News
News Archive
© 2015 Copyright ISAF/ISAF UK Ltd. All Rights Reserved Privacy & Cookies delivered by Sotic powered by OpenText WSM