After almost nine days of racing, covering 2,600 miles, the battle for third place in the IB Group Challenge came down to a mere 20 seconds.
Pascal BIDÉGORRY on Bank Populaire
had victory sown up yesterday morning as he crossed the finish line near Nice, France at 07:36:17, followed just over six hours later by Michel DESJOYEAUX and Géant
Throughout the race the competition had been incredibly tight with the lead continually shifting hands. Nobody new this better than Frederic PEUTREC on Gitana 11, who earlier in the race, from second place, had lost a 100 mile lead over the chasing pack in just 18 hours.
PEUTREC though had the last laugh crossing the line to finish third in 8 days, 23 hours, 40 minutes and 55 seconds - just an amazing 20 seconds ahead of Armel CLÉAC'H and Foncia.
Gitana X, skippered by Thierry DUPREY, came in almost two hours later the complete the race by finishing in fifth.
- Bank Populaire, Pascal BIDÉGORRY - 8 days, 16 hours, 36 minutes and 17 seconds
- Géant, Michel DESJOYEAUX - 6 hours, 18 minutes and 9 seconds after the leader
- Gitana 11, Frederic PEUTREC - 7 hours, 4 minutes and 38 seconds after the leader
- Foncia, Armel CLÉAC'H - 7 hours, 4 minutes and 58 seconds after the leader
- Gitana X, Thierry DUPREY - 8 hours, 54 minutes and 27seconds