Michel DESJOYEAUX leads the 60 foot trimarans racing in the IB Group Challenge as they approach Maltle, Sicily, Italy and the 1,000 miles to the finish mark.
At the 1400 hours GMT poll, DESJOYEAUX on Géant
led Gitana 11
, skippered by Frederic PEUTREC, by almost twenty miles. Behind PEUTREC things are looking very tight. Just 1.7 miles back is early leader, Pascal BIDÉGORRY on Bank Populaire
. As well as chasing down PEUTREC, BIDÉGORRY is having a battle to hang on to third place, with Frank CAMMAS and Groupama-2
only half a mile behind. In fifth place Armel CLÉAC'H on Foncia
is still well in touch, less than five miles back. Bringing up the rear of the fleet is Gitana X
, skippered by Thierry DUPREY, 44 miles behind the leader.
Currently the fleet are roughly halfway between Gibraltar and Malte. Once arriving in Sicily they then head northwest up to the finish in Nice, France.
(at 1400 hours GMT)
- Géant, Michel DESJOYEAUX - 1,142 miles from the finish
- Gitana 11, Frederic PEUTREC - 18.5 miles from the leader
- Bank Populaire, Pascal BIDÉGORRY - 20.2 miles from the leader
- Groupama-2, Franck CAMMAS - 20.7 miles from the leader
- Foncia, Armel CLÉAC'H - 25.2 miles from the leader
- Gitana X, Thierry DUPREY - 44.2 miles from the leader