Peter Bayly and William Atkinson (IRL) of Lough Derg Yacht Club are the new World Mirror Champions. At Howth yesterday they clinched the title in style by winning the ninth race their third win in the 10 race series.
Impressive throughout the whole of the Datalex-sponsored event, their outstanding race record included two seconds, a 3rd, a 7th and a 13th and they didn't even have to compete in the final race.
After two discards were taken into account, they had a massive 17 points to spare over runners-up Torvar Mirsky and Justin Jacob from Australia. The Fremantle pair had just a four points advantage over Ireland's Nick Meadow and Sam Trott from Carrickfergus for whom a broken tiller in the ninth race proved decisive in the overall standings.
Another Irish crew, Royal Cork's Chris and Catherine Forristal were highly consistent and were rewarded with 4th overall ahead of two British entries, David and Jake Gebhard and Robert Grieg-Gran with Jonathon Telford.
The last day of the Championship also witnessed fresher northerly winds which allowed Race Officer David Lovegrove set trapezoidal courses for the first time.
Needing only to sail conservatively on the last day to secure the title, Bayly and Atkinson led from start to finish and never looked in any danger of losing their lead, although Cork's Alex Kaiser and Jack Vaughan did reduce it at one stage to 30 seconds.
The newly crowned Champions retired from the last race which was won with considerable elan by the new International Mirror Class Association President Des Clayton and his crew Craig Martin. Second were the leading Australian crew while Patrick Cronin and Orlaigh Magee of Malahide YC had their best result of the series in 3rd place.
With six boats in the top ten overall, Ireland also won the Team Trophy, repeating the feat of two years ago in South Africa.
In the International Regatta, Ireland dominated even more, filling the first five places. The Vaughan brothers, Stuart and Ross from Royal North of Ireland YC, won the event with considerable ease, but two firsts on the final day saw Stephen Glennon and Graham Barker of the host club jump four places to take the runners-up spot.
1. P.Bayly/W.Atkinson (Lough Derg YC - IRL)
2. A.Kaiser/J.Vaughan (Royal Cork YC - IRL)
3. R.Grieg-Gran/J.Telford (Lympstone SC - GBR)
4. I.McGonigle/S.Glynn (Skerries SC - IRL)
5. M.O'Toole/J.Collova (Royal Perth YC - AUS)
6. D & J Gebhard (Derwent Reservoir SC - GBR)
1. D.Clayton/C.Martin (Royal North of Ireland YC - IRL)
2. T.Mirsky/J.Jacob (Fremantle SC - AUS)
3. P.Cronin/O.Magee (Malahide YC - IRL)
4. S.Jacobs/G.Eagleson (Zeekoevlei YC - RSA)
5. I.McGonigle/S.Glynn (Skerries SC - IRL)
6. M.Burge/K.MacGregor (Poole YC - GBR)
Overall Championship Results (after 10 races):
1. P.Bayly/W.Atkinson (Lough Derg YC - IRL) 30pts
2. T.Mirsky/J.Jacob (Fremantle SC - AUS) 47pts
3. N.Meadow/S.Trott (Carrickfergus SC - IRL) 51pts
4. C & C Forristal (Royal Cork YC - IRL) 59pts
5. D & J Gebhard (Derwent Reservoir SC - GBR) 68pts
6. R.Grieg-Gran/J.Telford (Lympstone SC - GBR) 81pts
International Regatta - overall results (after 10 races)
1. S & R Vaughan (Royal North of Ireland YC - IRL) 25pts
2. S.Glennon/G.Barker (Howth YC - IRL) 38pts
3. B.Cotter/R.McGlade (Royal Cork YC - IRL) 47pts
4. W & R. Kearney (Royal North of Ireland YC - IRL) 49pts
5. B.Greer/A.Baker (Dun Laoghaire MYC - IRL) 52pts
6. J.McGovern/K.MacGregor (Hollingworth SC - GBR) 60pts
For full results see the event website.