Shifty conditions for the start of the Laser 2 World Championships taking place in Pwllheli, North Wales.
The 7th Laser 2 World Championship opened on Saturday 25th August with a final entry 92 from 9 countries and 3 continents.
Ideal conditions, bright sun a good force 4 breeze meet the fleet for the practice race. To introduce the fleet to the possibility of gate starts the race officer, Mike Pearson, choose start it with a gate start. The race was eventually one by Andy Palmer-Felgate and Lee Sydenham. 52 boats choosing to finish.
started from a conventional line, was started in a shifty 10 knots, sailed around a trapezoid course. Kevin Teborek and Ryan Donahue from the US lead from start to finish. In the shifty conditions Andy Palmer-Felgate and Lee Sydenham worked their way through to second only to be PMSed. Lisa Buddemeier and Hannes Wagner from Germany revelled on the conditions to finish 3rd on the water. Graeme Bristow and Bryan Mobbs, from the UK, also worked their way up through the fleet to finish 4th on the water.
was sailed in a equally shifty but a slightly increased 12 knots. Kevin Teborek and Ryan Donahue rounded the first windward mark first pursued by a chasing pack. Graeme Bristow and Bryan Mobbs worked their way past Teborek and Donahue to lead round the final windward mark only to loose the advantage on the run. Laura Dillon and Ben O'Donoghue from Ireland finished third with Palmer-Felgate and Sydenham 4th.
Results, after 2 races:
1. USA Kevin Teborek/Ryan Donahue 2 pts
2. GBR Graeme Bristow/Bryan Mobbs 5 pts
3. GER Lisa Buddemeier/Hannes Wagner 7 pts
4. GBR Patrick Bird/Virginia Bird 16 pts
5. SIN Shew Her Siew/Terence Koh 16 pts
6. IRL Laura Dillon/Ben O'Donoghue 18 pts
7. IRL Martin Darrer/Ben Fitzpatrick 21 pts
8. CAN Trevor Mc Ewen/Ian Mc Ewen 21 pts
9. CAN Rob Fox/Andrew Mc Ewen 25 pts
10. GBR Russell Page/Victoria Page 25 pts