With just two races to go, Ireland’s Peter Bayly and William Atkinson (Lough Derg YC) have sailed themselves into the strongest possible position to clinch the Datalex-sponsored Mirror World Championships at Howth Yacht Club.
Day 4 - Races 7 and 8.
Should they do so, they will emulate the feat of Cork's Marty Maloney and Revlin Minihane who won in South Africa two years ago.
Races seven and eight in the 10-race series were marked by very light wind conditions, fluctuating between south-easterly and easterly all day to give considerable headaches to Race Officer David Lovegrove and his team. The Olympic courses had to be shortened to ensure the 92-boat fleet finished both races.
Bayly and Atkinson had only their second result in double figures - 13th - in the opening race but a 2nd in the next immediately re-instated them in the top position. Their main rivals for the title, Carrickfergus' Nick Meadow and Sam Trott, recorded their second win of the series but a disappointing 34th in the second race of the day gave the Lough Derg duo a distinct advantage going into the last day.
British and European Champions David and Jake Gebhard had their best result with a 2nd in the first race but inconsistency has cost them the chance of winning this event. There are now four Irish boats in the top five with 3rd placed Australians Torvar Mirsky and Justin Jacob the major threat to a local clean sweep.
There was a Swedish victory in race 8 with Per Backlund and Magnus Andermo interrupting the dominance of Irish and Australian crews taking the gun.
In the International Regatta, it is total domination by the Irish who fill the first six places overall. Stuart and Ross Vaughan of the Royal North of Ireland YC in Cultra have effectively won the event, with clubmates Woo and Ross Kearney and the Cork pair Bryan Cotter and Richard Cotter battling it out for the runners-up spot.
Mirror Worlds - Results:
1. N.Meadow/S.Trott (Carrickfergus SC- IRL)
2. D & J Gebhard (Derwent Reservoir SC - GBR)
3. C & C Forristal (Royal Cork YC - IRL)
4. A.Kaiser/J.Vaughan (Royal Cork YC - IRL)
5. C.McQuitty/T.Brien (Royal North of Ireland YC - IRL)
6. S.Woodward/S.Murphy (Royal Cork YC - IRL)
1. P. Backlund/M.Andermo (Sweden)
2. P.Bayly/W.Atkinson (Lough Derg YC - IRL)
3. C & M.Bond (Brightlingsea SC - GBR)
4. W.Winter/A.Davies (Cam SC - GBR)
5. A.Kaiser/J.Vaughan (Royal Cork YC - IRL)
6. C & C Forristal (Royal Cork YC - IRL)
Overall (after 8 races):
1. P.Bayly/W.Atkinson (Lough Derg YC - IRL) 29pts
2. N.Meadow/S.Trott (Carrickfergus SC- IRL) 40pts
3. T.Mirsky/J.Jacob (Fremantle SC - AUS) 51pts
4. C & C Forristal (Royal Cork YC - IRL) 53pts
5. R.Collins/K.Keogh (National YC - IRL) 76pts
6. R.Grieg-Gran/J.Telford (Lympstone SC - GBR) 78pts
International Regatta (after 8 races)
1. S & R Vaughan (RNIYC) - IRL - 23pts
2. W & R Kearney (RNIYC) - IRL - 40pts
3. B.Cotter/R.McGlade (RCYC) - IRL - 41pts
4. S.Glennon/G.Barker (HYC) - IRL - 46pts
5. G & M Costigan (HYC) - IRL - 53pts
6. K.Grimes/S.Mann (SSC) - IRL - 54pts