Wickens (GBR) won the third race of the Etchells World Championships taking place in Lymington, Hampshire, Great Britain.
On a day of waterborne Snakes and Ladders in Christchurch Bay, Roger Wickens (GBR), with Tim Martell and Mark Downer, won the third race of the Mako Etchells World Championship, capping their own pleasure by beating the 1991 and 1994 World Champion, Dennis Conner (USA), to the finish by a minute.
Stuart Childerley (GBR), the series leader after two races, had a remarkable race, moving up the ladder from 21st at the first mark to second at the next. He was fourth at the next two marks roundings, but slid down a snake or two on the final beat to wind up 20th. He still leads overall after three races, by three points from Barry Dunning, who was 18th in this race.
After two indifferent days, Dennis Conner was almost in his old mode of walking on water. Eighth at the first mark, he dropped to 16th on the run, when the right hand side paid and he had gone left, but recovered to third on the next beat behind Wickens and Kneulman. That position he held, despite pressure from Childerley on the run and then carved back half of Wickens lead as he overtook Kneulman.
There are still three races to be held with one discard if all six are raced. The event is organised by the Royal Lymington Yacht Club.
Results, after 3 races:
1. GBR987 Bedrock S Childerley S Russell / N Pearson 23 pts
2. GBR1174 Irrational Exuberance B Dunning M Keeping / H Orneberg 26 pts
3. AUS1187 Pacesetter C Miles P Smidmore / J Mayjor 29 pts
4. GBR1173 7 E Warwick ano / ano 32 pts
5. GBR1195 Danish Blue P R Hoj-Jensen P Blowers / S Mitchell 34 pts
6. AUS947 Two Saints and a Magpie J Bertrand E Lawrence / B Browne 41 pts
7. GBR118 Maverick R Wickens T Martell / M Downer 42 pts
8. HKG48 Wanchai Belle J McWilliam L Mead / M Parker 44 pts
9. AUS1013 Silky T Hirst R Coxon / J Cowling 45 pts
10. GBR1068 Katemba T Law M Spruce / M Yates 49 pts