The first qualifying races of the 49er World Championship took place yesterday in Malcesine, Italy
The 159 boats were split into four fleets sailing on two racing areas, with a maximum of 10 races scheduled to make up the qualifying series. After each day of the qualifying series the boats are being re-grouped based on overall standings.
Yesterday saw two races completed by the fleets designated as yellow, blue and red, whilst the green fleet did not finish the second race because of a sudden drop of the wind. However, the green fleet will try to recover the second missing race this morning.
The Final Series will then start on Thursday September 20.
The Results below indicate positions established on the basis of the first race sailed by all groups.
1. ITA 23 - SIBELLO PIETRO/SIBELLO GIANFRANCO
2. GBR 12 - RICHARDSON ALISTER/GREENHALGH PETER
3. DEN 692 - HANSEN PETER/HANSEN SOREN
4. ESP 1 - LOPEZ-VAZQUEZ SANTIAGO/DE LA PLAZA JAVIER
5. POL 17 - KACPROWSKI PAWEL/KUZMICKI PAWEL
6. USA 13 - MACK ANDY/LOWRY ADAM
7. ESP 15 - MARTINEZ IKER/FERNANDEZ XABIER
8. NED 670 - LANTERMANS PIETER/NIEUWENHUIS PIM
9. UKR 639 - RODION LUKA/LEONCHUK GEORGE
10. GBR 655 - CLARKE ALISTAIR/ROSIER SIMON