Mitch Booth and Herbert Dercksen successfully defended their Formula 18 World title at Poole, Great Britain yesterday.
It was a close fought battle for the title, going into the last race only two points separated Booth and Dercksen from the Mourniac brothers from France. The Mournian brothers had a disaster of a race, hitting the start boat, so they would have to take a penalty, and then colliding with another boat braking their spinnaker pole. This pretty much handed the title to Booth and Dercksen.
Next years Formula 18 World Championships will take place in Travemunde, Germany. This new class is now attracting some of the top catamatan racers in the world.
Final Results, Top 10:
1. Booth/Dercksen (NED) 9 points
2. Mourniac/Mourniac (FRA) 12 points
3. Besson/Jarlegan (FRA) 32 points
4. Bundock/Pool (AUS) 33 points
5. Wilson/Howden (GBR) 33 points
6. Boulogne/Boulogne (FRA) 38 points
7. Colby/Corlett (AUS) 38 points
8. Guichard/Espagnon (FRA) 44 points
9. Larsen/Van Geest (NED) 45 points
10. Le Peutrec/Neiras (FRA) 49 points