Despite the weekend's bombing of Afghanistan, International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge said yesterday that the IOC still plans to go forward with the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City.
Rogge said he spoke for three hours Monday with Salt Lake Olympic Committee President Mitt Romney during a flight from Salt Lake City to Chicago. The conversation, Rogge said, assured him that "everything that is humanly possible is in place" with respect to security.
Rogge said Romney briefed him on the $30 million to $40 million upgrade to the original $265 million security plan that was promised last week by government officials and congressional leaders.
Jacques Rogge also said the organization is not considering moving the 2004 Summer Games from Athens, despite construction delays that have drawn criticism from IOC members.
He said the well-publicised construction delays would only affect Athens' ability to hold test events a year before the Olympics. In several cases, he said, test events may have to be held elsewhere. Rogge also said that a U.S. city "absolutely" would be a strong candidate to win the 2012 Summer Games but dismissed the suggestion that the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks could either enhance or detract from the bids from Washington-Baltimore or New York if either were selected next year by the U.S. Olympic Committee to represent the United States in the bid process.
The IOC membership will choose the 2012 host city in 2005.