Individual racing concluded yesterday with Teiki Hacheche(TAH) retaining the lead he has held since day one. Corentin Guegan from New Caledonia was second and Yann Rigal (TAH) withstood a late push by Garth Ellingham (NZL) to take bronze.
The Cook Islands established that they are the "best of the rest" with the three best placings by sailors from the smaller islands. A big effort has been put into Optimist development there with the help of both Olympic Solidarity and the International Optimist Class.
A meeting of the nine countries represented heard of plans for the 2002 championship in Samoa, and the "6 for 5" subsidy towards club-owned Optimists available from the IODA.
Racing continues today with the Team-Racing event, followed by the Closing Ceremony.
1. TAH Teiki Hacheche 15 pts
2. NC Corentin Guegan 28 pts
3. TAH Yann Rigal 39 pts
4. NZL Garth Ellingham 48 pts
5. NC Gael Blanquart 48 pts
6. TAH Emeric Viaris de Lesegno 50 pts
7. NZL Philip Robertson 51 pts
8. TAH Jessee Besson 55 pts
9. NC Malo Leseigneur 68 pts
10. NC Sebastien Lescadieu 70 pts