By 10pm Thursday evening the last boat had crossed the finish line of the long-distance Islands Race. The 57.1 nm course, set by the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda's Race Committee, provided a true test for the Rolex Swan fleet.
After a warm up beat, reach and run down to Mortoriotto, the crews endured a long beat - lasting upwards of three hours for the smaller boats - through the La Maddalena Islands to Spargi. At the turn towards the rocky outcrop of Baretinelli, the winds were at their strongest topping out at about 20 knots and the seas were at their biggest. The competitors enjoyed an exhilarating spinnaker reach before gybing, the long run outside the islands back to Mortoriotto, and a short beat back to the finish at Porto Cervo.
In Class A, Bugia Bianca continued her winning ways, while in the Swan 45/Class B, Massimo Ferragamo's Bellicosa sailed a strong race for her first win, and in Class C/D Solenia 2 dominated, finishing within 30 minutes of some of the biggest boats in the fleet.
Place, Boat Name/Type, Place, Total Points
1. Bugia Bianca (Swan 70), Massimo Dentice 1 - 1 - 5 - 1, 8
2. Aqua Equinox (Swan 56), Filip Balcaen 12 - 4 - 1 - 5, 22
3. Favonius (Swan 80), Roel Pieper 10 - 2 - 9 - 2, 23
Class B (Swan 45)
1. Vertigo, Marco Salvi/Alberto Signorini 1 - 2 - 1 - 8, 12
2. Cuordileone, Leonardo Ferragamo 2 - 8 - 2 - 6, 18
3. Mascalzone Latino, Vincenzo Onorato 11 - 3 - 6 - 2, 22
1. Solenia (Swan 48), Roberto Ferrero 1 - 5 - 1, 8
2. Katrina (Swan 53), Damon Guizet 2 - 4 - 8, 14
3. Junkanoo (Swan 44 MkII), Colin Buffin 12 - 3 - 2, 17
Today is a layday for the Swan fleet - which is just as well with torrential rain, thunder and lightning sweeping through the area during the morning. Tomorrow's forecast predicts northerly winds, force 4 with a moderate chop.
Tonight Swan owners and guests look forward to the ClubSwan Dinner at the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda, hosted by ClubSwan partner, Pioneer Investment.
Racing continues on Saturday, 18th September with Class A scheduled to race windward/leeward courses and Classes B & C/D scheduled for one coastal course. First gun is at 1130 hrs.