Dominic VITTET (FRA) on ATAO Audio System came fourth with Marc EMIG (FRA), aboard Total, crossing the finish line in fifth place, after a close-fought battle with Sam DAVIES (GBR), skipper of Skandia.
Skandia crossed the line at approximately 0330 GMT in a time of 25 days, 15 hours, 22 minutes and 20 seconds, completing the transatlantic race at an average speed of 6.91 knots. It proved to be a close finish for the front runners with Skandia finishing 8 hours, 11 minutes and 31 seconds after the overall winner DROUGLAZET.
Speaking of the finish DAVIES said, 'I am SO glad to have finished the last miles were a real struggle, I was neck and neck with Marc, but he just beat me by roughly 1nm. The channel up to the finish was incredible, it was just like sailing into the land - you really had to trust your charts. Although it's late in the evening here there were a few boats out - one with loads of Skandia flags! A great reception!'
The Trophée BPE has been the longest sole race of DAVIES' career and although disappointed not to have retained a top five position, the Brit's performance on the ocean crossing stage of the race before the Cuban coast proved her ability to compete against the very best solo Figarists. She held her third position against Figaro stars DROUGLAZET, CAUDRELIER and MORVAN. DAVIES is more than happy with her performance on this part of the race course. The main focus of her season remains La Solitaire du Figaro in August.
Correct at the 0900 GMT poll
(eight finishers so far, four boats still on the water)
- Credit Maritime-Zerotwo, Eric DROUGLAZET (FRA) 25 days, 7 hours, 10 minutes and 49 seconds, average speed 7.00 knots
- Bostik, Charles CAUDRELIER (FRA) 25 days, 11 hours, 48 minutes and 0 seconds, average speed 6.95 knots
- Cercle Vert, Gildas MORVAN (FRA) 25 days, 12 hours, 44 minutes and 15 seconds, average speed 6.94 knots
- ATAO Audio System, Dominic VITTET (FRA) 23 days, 14 hours, 11 minutes and 1 second, average speed 6.92 knots
- Total, Marc EMIG (FRA) 25 days, 15 hours, 5 minutes and 56 seconds, average speed 6.91 knots
- Skandia, Sam DAVIES (GBR) 25 days, 15 hours, 22 minutes and 20 seconds, average speed days, 6.91 knots seconds
- Banque Populaire, Jeanne GREGOIRE (FRA) 25 days, 18 hours, 40 minutes and 35 seconds, average speed 6.87 knots
- Aquarelle.com, Yannick BESTAVEN (FRA) 25 days, 19 hours, 1 minute and 10 seconds, average speed 6.87 knots