Yachting Australia Chief Executive Phil JONES welcomed the competitors to the regatta and said, 'The Australian Women's Match Racing Championship continues to attract some of the best women skippers and will now take on a new significance.'
He announced that the results will be considered in the selection of the Australian representatives to contest the 2006 ISAF Nations Cup. He also confirmed that, through Yachting Australia, funding will be available for the international event.
CYCA Commodore Geoff LAVIS expressed the club's support of the national championship and thanked Line 7 for their sponsorship of the event. He predicted fast and furious racing and expects that as Sunday's finals coincide with the club's season opening, the spectator fleet will be significant.
Defending Champion and number ten in the ISAF World Match Race Rankings Nicky SOUTER will compete, as will World number 15 Katie SPITHILL. Australia's top two women match racers are both from the Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club and are sure to engage in some exciting duals.
Line 7 Australian Women's Match Racing Championship Entrants
(Club - ISAF World Match Race Ranking)
- Nicky SOUTER, Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club (NSW) - 10
- Katie SPITHILL, Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club (NSW) - 15
- Adele FREAN, South of Perth Yacht Club (WA) - 77
- Nina CURTIS, Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club (NSW) - 83
- Nicky BETHWAITE, Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron (NSW) - 113
- Sam BOYD, Cruising Yacht Club of Australia (NSW) - 161
- Natalie DEWING, Adelaide Sailing Club (SA) - Not Ranked
- Megan RIDGWAY, Sandringham Yacht Club (VIC) - Not Ranked
- Jeanne-Claude STRONG, Cruising Yacht Club of Australia (NSW) - Not Ranked