The Fraglia Vela Riva is ready to host another exciting sailing event, after the record-breaking event that saw almost 800 Optimist sailors racing over Easter on lake Garda.
This time it's sailing in America's Cup style: ten skippers will fight for the GARDA TRENTINO ISAF Grade 1 Open Match Race, organised by the Fraglia Vela Riva in conjunction with the International Sailing Federation (ISAF).
The event runs from April 27 to May 1 with the same format successfully used by the Fraglia Vela Riva during the ISAF Match Racing World Championship held last August:
- Round 1: double round robin, where all skippers sail each other twice in one group.
- Round 2: semifinals, where the top four skippers from the round robins race against each other in a knock out series, first to score three points.
- Round 3: final and petite final, run on a knock out series, first to score three points.
Current match racing world champion Ed BAIRD (USA), who won the world title also in 1995 and claimed the ISAF Grade 1 Congressional Cup last weekend, will be in Riva with his fellow crew members Jon ZISKIND and Andy HOTON. Thomas BURNHAM, who won the match racing worlds in Riva with Baird
last August, won't be here this time as he is currently training with Team Luna Rossa in Valencia for the next America's Cup.
Nine other skippers will compete in the GARDA TRENTINO open Match Race:
- Jesper RADICH, Denmark - ISAF ranking: 2°
- Mathieu RICHARD, France - ISAF ranking: 4°
- Paolo CIAN, Italy - ISAF ranking: 7°
- Ian WILLIAMS, Great Britain - ISAF ranking: 9°
- Johnie BERNTSSON, Sweden - ISAF ranking: 15°
- Andrew ARBUZOV, Russia - ISAF ranking: 16°
- Maxim TARANOV, Russia - ISAF ranking: 21°
- Michael DUNSTAN, Australia - ISAF ranking: 29°
- Mark CAMPBELL-JAMES, Great Britain - ISAF ranking: 40°
The schedule of the week will be as follows:
- April 27: registration and crew weighing. Boats testing. Briefing and meeting with umpires. 7.00pm, opening ceremony.
- April 28: 8.30am, 1st warning signal. The programme of following races will be posted daily on the Official Notice Board.
- April 28-May 1: racing days.
- April 30: gala dinner.
- May 1: 6.00pm, official prizegiving ceremony.
The GARDA TRENTINO ISAF Grade 1 Open Match Race will be sailed on eight identical J/22 boats. The boats will be allocated by draw, either daily or for each round as decided by the Race Committee. The number of crew (including skipper) is three.
The GARDA TRENTINO ISAF gr. 1 open Match Race runs in collaboration with:
Trentino, Comune di Riva del Garda, Garda Trentino, Expert, Sanpellegrino, Subaru, Palacongressi, Hood Sailmakers, Navigarda, BWA, Doyle and Dubarry.