Events will include national championships, regattas, rallies, festivals and challenges for everything from small keel boats and dinghies to historic boats and power boats. Showcasing the diversity of craft that sail and race at yacht clubs around Victoria, the sailing and boating program will illustrate that sailing and boating has something for everyone.
For those that want to try sailing, there will be a public Go Sailing programe on weekends and Australia Day run by Yachting Victoria. On the safe and protected waters of Victoria Harbour, people of all ages and abilities can sail a small dinghy in a roped off area, providing an easy introduction to sailing.
The Go Sailing programme will also run from various yacht clubs in the evening on 1 and 26 February, with club members on hand to give beginners a fun taste of sailing. 'It's easy to appreciate what an enjoyable sport sailing is, and that boating is a lifetime recreation and lifestyle,' said Yachting Victoria Chief Executive Officer, Ross KILBORN. 'But our 'Go Sailing' and 'Go Boating' activities are about demonstrating that they are also affordable and accessible for everyone. Our events at Docklands will demonstrate that sailing is for people of all ages and abilities. And our Go Sailing events at clubs will highlight how easy it is to get involved and how hospitable clubs are. We invite the community to be part of this exciting boating and sailing season.'
People interested in learning more about Go Sailing or the Yachting Victoria on-water events during the Melbourne Stopover should contact Yachting Victoria on 03 9597 0066 or email: email@example.com or visit www.yachtingvictoria.com.au.
Other events going on in Melbourne include:
- Club Marine Challenge Rally - Supporting Kids With Cancer
- Skandia Geelong Week Race Village.
- Boating Victoria Motor Cruiser Rally, presented by Parks Victoria
- Forster Cup
- Classic Yachting Association of Australia Classic Yacht and Couta Boat Challenge
- NewQuay Marina Summer Boat Show, supported by Club Marine
- J24 Short Course Series
- High Performance Class Racing
- 2006 Australian and International Access Class Championship
- International Dragon Boat Festival
- Top of the Bay Regatta
- International Cadet Short Course Championship
- Melbourne Docklands Schools Team Racing Regatta
- Sail Peninsula Schnapper Point Regatta
- Tasar Victorian Short Course Championships
- Junior Solo Challenge
For more on the stopover events go to the Sail Melbourne website.For all the news on Sail Melbourne CLICK HERE.