The semi-finals and the sail-off for place 5 and 6 where started in the morning in beautiful breezes from south on the final day of the ISAF Grade 2 event on the exclusive Swiss lake.
In the semi-final it was Bank vs. Holmberg and Mendelblatt vs. Pilot. Both Peter HOLMBERG and Mark MENDELBLATT won with 2-0 scorelines to qualify for the final in the afternoon. In the sail-off, where the Monnin brothers from Switzerland met Sebastien COL from the K-Challenge Team, it was Sebastien COL, Teva PLICHART and Thomas DEPLANQUE who won with 2-0 over the Swiss to finish 5th at this years St. Mortiz Match-Race.
The petit-final was sailed between Jesper BANK, four-time Olympic medallist and Luc PILLOT, the four-time America's Cup participant. With a 2-0 victory it was Jesper Bank, Henrik Blakskjaer and Thomas Jocobson who defeted Pillot with his team to finish third.
The final, a best of five series, was to be very interesting, since Mendelblatt defeted Holmberg in the previous Round Robin. The young Mark MENDELBLATT and his crew where leading quickly with 2-0 and had the chance to wrap it up in the third flight. But Holmberg from Team Alinghi was able to put a penalty on Mendelblatt and closed the gap to 2/1. In the fourth flight, it was Mendelblatt who forced a penalty on Holmberg in the pre-start phase and Team Alighi tried everything, but could not recover and lost this fourth and final match for a final result of 1/3
1. Mark Mendelblatt, Ed Smiyth, Pete Spaulding
2. Peter Holmberg, Pieter von Nieuwenhuyzen, Mike Drummond
3. Jesper Bank, Henrik Blakskjaer, Thomas Jacobsen
4. Luc Pillot, Erik Ferran, Romain Trouble
5. Sebastian Col, Teva Plichart, Thomas Deplanque
6. Eric Monnin, Jean-Claude Monnin, Marc Monnin
7. Matthias Rahm, Pontus Meijer, Niklas Carlzon
8. Jochen Schuemann, Nils Frei, Yves Detrew
9. Simon Shaw, Duncan McDonald, G. Salter
10. Simon Minoprio, Mathew Stuart, Haydon Goodrick
11. Carsten Kemmling, Andreas John, Peter Stein
12. Michel Vaucher, Francois Blondel, Loic Führer